Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fly Show

Default The Fly Show

I attended both days. Saw some friends, met with some clients for an upcoming AK trip, picked up some fly tying material, made a couple of contacts that will come in handy, saw a nice presentation on Argentina/Patagonia. I was disappointed that a presentation I wanted to see on AK was scratched.

Great weather, but, from my observations, attendance seemed to be way down. Several vendors that I expected to see were not in attendance.

I'm curious as to your observations. And I wonder if they will continue to come to Pleasanton if attendance continues to drop.

Attendance was down for sure, could have been the weather was too nice so folks were out doing their thing. Both booths I worked at had steady traffic, booking trips, and giving what the people wanted; attention and good knowledgeable info. My Lake Davis and Lower Yuba presentations had exceptional turn outs. Thanks to all those that attended my shows, I love to share my passion and knowledge, while paying it forward. Fly anglers crave the whole knowledge thing and the destination theaters feed them with the right stuff. A huge part of Pleasanton.

The coolest thing about the show for many of us in the industry is being able to spend some time chatting with our friends and reps, we are so busy most of the year that the show provides this bonus time. The Cast Hope gathering was the icing on the cake for the weekend, great time! Special Thanks to Hogan and Ryan - Well done!

For those I spoke with over the weekend, please email or call me with any follow up questions you may have on the outings, tours, and Northern Sierra destinations.

-J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Yea, weather was too nice! People were probably out doing stuff. The best years for the show have always been when its a little cloudy, drizzly, etc. It was still a decent show, got to see a lot of friends, old and new.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

I went up on Friday, attendance was about average for a nice weekday. Picked up a new reel, some midges, a spey line, some furled leaders, some other stuff. Attended a couple of talks and gathered some good info. Also met a couple of real nice guys from Mission Peak Fly Anglers club over lunch. Overall a nice experience and much better than going to work.

Default Da Show....

I went to the show on Friday. Saw all of the booths and spoke to some of the tyers, Jay Murakoshi, Steve Potter (who was finishing up one of his Humming Bird flies - Amazing!!). Was disappointed to that Ken Hanley wasn't there. I didn't notice that there fewer vendors, tho, I don't stop at too many of them anyway. Found a vendor that was selling a bunch of good looking "Buff's" but was unable to locate a one that had a breathing hole in it. Found a gently used Fin-Nor Lite fly reel for 8/9 weights at a more than reasonable price. It's going to be a good Striper/bonefish reel. Attended John Sherman's presentation of fly fishing for Stripers in the Delta. Very informative for me. John's photography is really great. Combine that with the info he passed on and it was a really good seminar.

All in all, it was a good show. Altho I like Pleasanton, the drive down to/from Sacramento is not that enjoyable. On the way down, it was light traffic and the weather was great. However, on the way back, about 3:30pm, The traffic was bumper to bumper on 580. Didn't slack up until after leaving Stockton. Next year I'll probably go on Saturday.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I was there Saturday morning. Seemed about average attendance to me and the usual lineup of booths. I did notice that Simms wasn't there this year however.

I didn't make any big purchases but still managed to drop $100. New buff, some flies, couple of furled leaders, forceps, and renewed my Drake subscription. Cha Ching.

I don't know why more stores don't set up space there. California Fly Shop and Fly Fishing Specialties always seem to do great business.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Oh, I'm sure the attendance was down. Parking lot had lots of room. You used to have to worm your way down the aisles, wait in line at many of the booths, and that was not the case this time.
    No waiting in line for a beer either, although at $11, that may be the reason.

And some of the destination presentations had less than a dozen people in them. I went to a presentation two years ago on Alaska and I was the only one in the audience, which was not very cool.

I will say that everyone I talked to in the booths I visited was great - none of the attitude that I've experienced in the past.

It's strange, I've heard people say in the past the lower-than-expected turnout was due to bad weather, now this year I'm hearing it may be due to good weather.

I stopped in Friday afternoon, mostly to see the Films.
    My perspective is that the whole setup is too disconnected.
    Buildings being spread apart, is inconvenient
    Acoustics for presentations and the non-working video equipment - really poor.
    There couldn't be a more basic setup for a Film showing.

After walking away dropping $10 - parking; $15 entree; $10 movie- I thought no wonder I don't frequent this event.
    (actually living in So Ca, there no longer is a show in Pasadena. Lol.)
    The reason I went is that I had friends to visit in Santa Rosa.
    I think the whole event needs reorganization and revamping.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Very good points, Digger. It would not be difficult to remedy the issues regarding the presentations. I went to a program, started down the path, saw a sign saying the program had been changed to another building - they should have also put on the sign "Bring a canteen because it's a trek to the other building."

And, to me, it is not acceptable to cancel a presentation and not have a backup. Things happen, I know, but you have a lot of practice dealing with "things," so just have a backup. I do presentations for fly clubs, etc. I am amazed at how (I guess justly so) paranoid the program directors for the fly clubs are about you not showing up. I always ask "Do you get many cancellations by presenters?" Apparently they do. I've never cancelled.

Let's see, horrible venue (especially for the presentations), fewer and fewer vendors each year, and the same presentations as last three years for the most part. Add in a nice day, and I'm not surprised attendance was down. Who the heck goes to a fly fishing show when they could actually be fly fishing, other than the folks working the show? There was a time when I looked forward to that show, but I'm unlikely to ever attend again, unless I'm really, REALLY, bored that weekend.
    -JD