Thread: Line recommendation

Default Line recommendation

Hello, I am planning on having a friend build a TFO DC 5/6 Spey (recommends 450 grain). I am able to buy an Ariflo Rage Compact 480 grain for half the price and I am wondering if the 480 grain will work on the rod or if I should fork out the extra money. (being in college, any money I can save is wonderful!)

Thank you!,
    Nathan

A 480 Rage is pretty heavy for a 5/6 rod, particularly for touch-and-go casts. Rajeff recommends 420 Rage on that rod, and they tend to run heavy in their recs. Rio recommends 350 to 400 in Skagit. 480 Rage is more 7wt territory. It will "work" but you'll have a pretty heavy load on the rod and a real bias to sustained-anchor casts. Particularly if you are just starting out, as it sort of sounds like you are, in my opinion you'll be better off with a more well-balanced setup. Usually what happens when cobbling together not-quite-right equipment is you get frustrated, waste a lot of time, and end up spending more money in the long run. You can get by in many situations with a cheaper reel, and the TFO is a fine rod for the money, but you really want to have a good, matched line when learning. Last place to cut corners. Again, in my opinion.

Closeouts and used lines are something to keep an eye out for. Something will turn up if you're patient.

If you really absolutely must save money on your line, the runner is the place to look for savings.
    Last edited by troutless; 02-21-2015 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by troutless View Post
    A 480 Rage is pretty heavy for a 5/6 rod, particularly for touch-and-go casts. Rajeff recommends 420 Rage on that rod, and they tend to run heavy in their recs. Rio recommends 350 to 400 in Skagit. 480 Rage is more 7wt territory. It will "work" but you'll have a pretty heavy load on the rod and a real bias to sustained-anchor casts. Particularly if you are just starting out, as it sort of sounds like you are, in my opinion you'll be better off with a more well-balanced setup. Usually what happens when cobbling together not-quite-right equipment is you get frustrated, waste a lot of time, and end up spending more money in the long run. You can get by in many situations with a cheaper reel, and the TFO is a fine rod for the money, but you really want to have a good, matched line when learning. Last place to cut corners. Again, in my opinion.

Closeouts and used lines are something to keep an eye out for. Something will turn up if you're patient.

If you really absolutely must save money on your line, the runner is the place to look for savings.
    Ahh I see, I will spend the extra cash for the rage 420 grain line (which i'll be buying as well as Grip shooter from Kienes). Referring to cheaper reels, I have a Hydros V reel (which I use for my 9wt Shooting Star Spey) Could I use this reel and get a spare spool or would it be too heavy. Kienes rec. are V=5-8 and IV=4-5. Thank you for your help troutless, I greatly appreciate it!

p.s. I used to be really into spey but then school and memory loss came around. Haha
    Last edited by nathanvn; 02-22-2015 at 03:35 AM.

I'd say buy the line and try it since you can get it for half price. Some people like lines that are a tad heavier, some like them a tad lighter. If the ideal weight for that rod is 450 and you're looking at either a 420 or 480, you're going to be either a little heavy or a little light whichever you choose (of course this is all theoretical, it either works for you or it doesn't). If the line doesn't work well for you then sell it and you'll probably break even since you paid half price in the first place.

Nathan, not sure if you are buying from Kiene's website or if you live around the area? I you live here ,Kiene's has test lines that they will let you give a test drive with down at the river. To me 450 looks like the high end on the grain scale for that rod. For a rage head you want to be down closer to the Scandi grain weight or a tad over the Scandi weight. I may have a SGS Scandi head around the 400 gr. mark that I would be willing to give to you to help you out with your collage budget. Let me dig around if you are interested. Cheers,Mark
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 02-22-2015 at 08:39 AM.

We have Rage lines to test. Most of us who were new to the game had no clue to what felt right so testing really didn't help. Don't waste your money on the 480 unless you plan on getting a bigger rod (unfortunately, it's like a disease and most of us have more rods than we need). Buy the recommended line weight and call it good.

I will agree with other sentiments that 480 grains seems pretty heavy for that rod. I have the Deer Creek switch rod in that weight, and casting a 390 grain Rage is plenty (mostly use the 390 Rage on a 12'6" 6wt CPX). Even with the extra bit of length of the spey, I can't see another 90 grains working very well for my tastes. 420 grains seems pretty sweet, and I'd bet that even a bit lighter would work well too. The Rage is a great line, and versatile. Money spent on getting the right weight line will be very well spent, you'll be doing lots and lots of casts with it...
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by nathanvn View Post
    Referring to cheaper reels, I have a Hydros V reel (which I use for my 9wt Shooting Star Spey) Could I use this reel and get a spare spool or would it be too heavy. Kienes rec. are V=5-8 and IV=4-5.
    Based on the specs and the Kiene's rec, I'd guess (emphasize guess) this reel would be fine. It is similar to what I use on my 6wt speys. There is one way to find out for sure: since you already have the reel, when you get the rod, put it on, with whatever line you happen to have, doesn't matter too much just so there is line and backing on the reel, see where the rod balance point is. A little too heavy on the reel is not really a big deal.

My advice as to investment priority would be #1, a line winder, #2 spare spools, #3, new reels. A winder makes it easy to get either shooting heads or full lines on and off a reel quickly and cleanly, without twists. And you'll need fewer spools. Better to store lines in looser coils off the spool, too.

Thank you everyone for your advice, it has definitely made my decision and thoughts clearer. I'll go with the 420gr line. The line has been sitting at Orvis for almost a year now so, I guess I don't have much to worry about someone picking it up. I'm sure down the line I'll pick up a 7/8wt Deer Creek so that might come in handy (Terry Thomas; that disease is called GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome many film photographers also suffer that disease. haha) Mark Kranhold, I would like to take you up on that offer, and could not thank you enough. I have yet to fish a scandi line, but have had the biggest urge to ever since attending the Bill Lowe Service in Fair Oaks in which people mentioned him and they would fish more scandi lines (I never met Bill but learned from him through his youtube videos and Kurt if you see this, thank you for inviting me!); having skagit and coming back to spey I guess my first comfort thought was skagit. Troutless, I will have to look into that line winder (it seems like a great tool to have) and as for the reel, I guess I can really only know until i have the rod. After reading the helpful responses this morning, I felt motivated to go out, hop over my backyard fence and fish the American; I caught my first Steelhead on the spey, and it was magical, Thanks again everyone!