Thread: Sandy River Oregon

Default Sandy River Oregon

Heading to Portland for work and will have an entire day to swing flies looking for some intel on spots to check out etc...

Thanks

Adam

You Bastard. Sure...... fish without me! I blow a tire and you leave me in the dust...... I see how you are....

I hope you get to stick a few brother!

Call these folks, they're reliable: http://www.flyfishusa.com

And you can check here: https://theguidesforecast.wordpress.com, http://www.dfw.state.or.us/rr/willamette/, http://sandyriverfishing.com

That should get you started. Good luck.

Call Ted Neely. Got us fish

You Bastard. Sure...... fish without me! I blow a tire and you leave me in the dust...... I see how you are....
    Jay just waiting on that ankle to heal and its on brother.

Thanks for all the info much appreciated....its been a rough steelhead season for me lots of days swinging flies 2 days Descheutes, 4 days John Day, 3 days South and main fork eel, 1 day Van duzen, 4 days on the American for 6 hook ups and 2 fish. Thats a lot of driving for a guy who lives in Santa Barbara. Hope my luck changes on the Sandy

Adam

Sandy is a pretty river, lots of great looking water-wish I could give you secrets to hooking up there, but I haven't done that part yet...

Clakamas is a little more intimate - might check into some of the coastal rivers as well, or the Kalama or NF Lewis across the border. The Kalama can be a great fishery.

I was in Del Mar on Thursday for meetings, 75 degrees and water in the mid 60's-don't the corbina offer Steelie-quality frustration without all the driving?

I was just up there on 2/15 for a day of swinging flies, so I can give you a somewhat informed report.

Didn't get any fish... Saw fish in the upper sections. Also saw gear-float guys get into a fish here or there with beads & jigs. Conditions were considered low and clear. (although it is deep in sections) Lots of good wade access around Oxbow park, but we launched in a boat up river in Dodge park. The heavy rapids sections the farther up you go defiantly seems to slow fish down, all the fish we saw were above Oxbow park. Also from Oxbow park down it was crowded. There is also almost no access to the river above Oxbow if you aren't floating because it is a canyon.

We were fishing red marabou tube flies and sometimes a "lady gaga fly". Great place to fish and the fish there are big. I'll be going back one day to get a redemption shot.

Thank you for all the info much appreciated, I hope to post a pic or two of one of those big steelies.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Petundra View Post
    Thank you for all the info much appreciated, I hope to post a pic or two of one of those big steelies.

Adam
    Depending on weather (rain or melting snow), the Sandy could be pretty colored, making it difficult. If that is the case, I'd head to the nearby Clackamas. Both are probably about the same as far as fish count. The Clackamas just doesn't dirty up as much.

For pure fishing pleasure, I prefer the Sandy. There are a few good walk in access points, but you are limited without a boat. I'm not a huge fan of the Clackamas when on foot and always choose the Sandy if the river is clear enough.
    Last edited by speyfool; 02-25-2015 at 09:35 AM.

call Ed Fast and have him take you on a float in the upper river .