Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CI Report 2014

Hi Paul! Great seeing you on the board again. Us Kiene originals are pretty thin around here these days And let me just say this report is the best Ive seen in a while. Thanks for the great pics and commentary. Makes me wanna be there real bad!

Hey Bill,
    1) I didn't organize the trip as my friend put this together. I believe the travel company he used had a relationship with this particular lodge. I am not sure if he considered any of the others. There were a lot of anglers that arrived with us going to different lodges. I did not hear anything bad from the people we talked to in the airport waiting for the flight out.

2) There may be a couple photos from my Canon 60D SLR, but most of these and definitely all of the fish ones are on a Canon D30 waterproof camera. I lugged around the SLR for the first couple of days but rarely took it out as it was a hassle to get into the waterproof backpack and dig it out. The little camera just sat in a pocket so it was right there.

3) I mostly used a RIO Redfish line in 8wt for the 7wt method. I had some issues with it starting to not float as well towards the last day of the trip, but I forgot to bring line cleaner. Other than that issue, it casted fine and matched the rod well. On my backup 8, I had an airflo tropical clear tip which also casted great and floated fine. It was honestly a rarity I needed to really punch a long cast. Most casts were 40 ft or less.

Hope that helps.

-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post
    Great post!

I'm planning a CI trip and wondered if you could give me some advice.

1) Did you consider any other lodges such as Ikari or The Villages?
    2) Your shots are amazing. What camera di
    3) what lines did you use for bones?

Thanks!

Bill

Hey Jay,
    I still recognize a couple names from the old days.
    I check in periodically to see people's photos and what's happening with steelhead up north.
    I haven't been able to make a trip north for a couple years now, so its nice to remind myself what a steelhead looks like
    Glad you liked the report!

-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Hi Paul! Great seeing you on the board again. Us Kiene originals are pretty thin around here these days And let me just say this report is the best Ive seen in a while. Thanks for the great pics and commentary. Makes me wanna be there real bad!

Thanks Paul,

Btw, what size clousers did you use?

Bill

Hey Bill,

I tied #8, #6, #4 and #2 sizes. A dozen of each size and each color.
    Those had beadchain, 5/32 gold dazl, 7/32 gold dazl, and 7/32 gold dazl eyes.
    I used the #8 and #6's the most and the #4's came out for deep water stuff.
    I don't think I even tied on a #2. Maybe if we had gone to the wreck those would have come in handy.
    Tied them in olive/white and tan/white. Very sparse on the bucktail with just a little bit of pearl UV flash.
    #8's and #6's in general were the sizes used most frequently on the bonefish flies as well.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Way cool!

Sweet pics and write-up.