Thread: Regal vice

Default Regal vice

Any one using the Regal Revolution vice? Shopping around and it is catching my eye.

Bill Siler

Default Regal Revolution Vice....

Bill,.... Saw your note on Blanton's BB and posted there. I have a standard Regal, rotary vice and slowed down using it due to my hands stiffening up. I still use it sparingly, tho. I have a some trouble operating the lever while tying a bunch of flies these days. I'm currently using a Dyna King vice.

The Regal is very good for tying flies in the size range of 12 up to 2/0 using the mid range head. You can buy a head that will accommodate larger hooks and one that will hold smaller but they're almost as expensive as the entire vice when new. I didn't tie flies smaller than size 12 flies on my Regal as if you're not careful placing the hook securely in the spring loaded jaws, they will clamp down on the bend of the hook causing it go flying across the room. When the jaws snap close, they can be chipped.

I seem to recall a couple of threads discussing the Regal vice in the past. You might try searching the archives for those.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

I have used standard Regal Medallion, but I wanted the big game for hooks bigger than 2/0. Also wanted the true rotary of the Revolution. Broke down and called Jim at Kiene's this morning and ordered one. Thanks for the input. Been eye balling the Puglisi vice for the last couple years but the boss wouldn't bite on the $1,000 price tag. The Regal is probably more than I will ever need

Default Regal Revolution....

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your choice. Happy tying!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown