Thread: Shorelines by April Vokey

Default Shorelines by April Vokey

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/s...journey-begins

She is writing a book about the history and differences of Atlantic Salmon and Steelhead.

This is a video of the start of it all.......very nice.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

April is a remarkable person.

I applaud her devotion to protection of the resources we all love and cherish.

Funny... my first impression of her was... DAMN, she's HOT! and she fishes TOO!!

But kind of like buying a record cuz you like the single... and then actually listening to and embracing the whole album... You realize that there is so much more than the hit...

AWESOME APRIL!
    and thanks Bill for sharing~

If you read once in a while her blog writings, it truly helps you see who a person is inside.

After seeing some of her pompous statements more than once about how she was the first of all the women getting into the fishing industry today, I was officially turned off.

And hot? Any other blond with a nice smile and a BC steelhead would be seen the same. She is doing some good things for the resource as I would expect anyone else in her position to do.

Unfortunately there are so many more guides with vast more knowledge and years more experience that should have a cable show but it's offered to someone else with long hair instead.

But we can agree to disagree Mark. No biggie!
    Last edited by Blueracer; 02-14-2015 at 01:00 AM.

Bill thanks for that link. I found it pretty sad though on the thought how the Atlantic Salmon totally declined in the Lake Ontario-St Lawrence River fisheries. Hearing the stories of what the fisheries were & what they are now is just heart breaking. I am sure we have a similar story to tell here in California. Like that one guy on the Credit River said, before there were no Salmon coming back & now there are dozens. That is a start.

But we can agree to disagree Mark. No biggie!
    I neither agree nor disagree with you...

I don't know the 'in depths' about her...

I agree that sensationalism sells and more often than not, the media chooses to promote/hype people and things based on their trendiness, political correctness, and/or superficial qualifiers...

You and I are probably more alike than different in our dispositions towards the politics of the press...

I worked for many government agencies over a 15 year period and know all too well the folly of qualifications versus quotas~

That said, it does appear that April cares more about conservation than cosmetics and I merely applauded that.

The fact that a more educated, less arrogant (?) source is not as sellable to the public, is more a reflection on society than on her ainit?

All Good Though
    Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 02-15-2015 at 09:39 PM.

It's rare for a single individual to be multi-faceted.
    There are fishermen (should I say anglers), there are conservationists, spokespersons, TV personalities.
    One that can be all is rare.

And the fact that the person is a woman, perhaps allows the female anglers to also listen a bit more and take note of what she has to say.
    Regardless, a woman in a male dominated sport is always going to draw skepticism and criticism,
    because we want to know if she is just looks or does she also know WTF she's talking about.

If she's putting forth the effort to produce something like this, I say good for her.
    I think a person that has some street cred is more effective, than just an academic.
    I think one that has both is great. and if it's wrapped in attractive packaging, even better.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

I always defer to the trained Fisheries Biologists /Wildlife Ecologists on writings about historicals, life history, future, etc...on existing, endangered, or extinct fisheries. A lot of people out there with strong opinions wanting to etch their place in history as the "authority" on a particular fishery with nothing more than lots of angling time on specific regions/drainages and with almost zero or very little higher education. Some have fantastic blogs/books when it comes to angling no questioning that. All will certainly outfish the pants of most us. However in terms of knowledge gained over decades in reading, I have personally gained the most insight with the more scientific books (i.e. Inland Fishes of CA) so I look to the PhDs who in most cases are accomplished anglers themselves. Don't know much about April other than some photos I have seen. Anyone know her formal eductational history? Maybe she has the resume to back it up.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

I think unfortunately, "experts" on any given topic aren't often the best writers on said topic as well, and often visa versa too. Personally I'm more interested in the authors journalistic integrity and talent to find the expert sources to interview and put that information into something thats well thought out, organized, and interesting to read. From what it looks like, this is what she is doing. I don't think this is going to be some sort of scientific paper or anything, but it could make for an interesting and informative read.
    I'll defer judgement till I see more than just a bit of promo video about it, but it was enough to perk my interest for sure. On a seperate note, I have to respect (to some degree at least) anyone who makes their life's passion the central focus of their lifestyle. Something that a lot of people try, and few succeed at. I'd say she's living the dream.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Morris View Post
    I always defer to the trained Fisheries Biologists /Wildlife Ecologists on writings about historicals, life history, future, etc...on existing, endangered, or extinct fisheries.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    I think unfortunately, "experts" on any given topic aren't often the best writers on said topic as well, and often visa versa too.
    and another +1

She has a much larger pulpit than any fisheries manager or scientist that I know! Some anglers will take something positive away from her presentation even though relatively few recreational anglers will read our scientific papers. There's room for everybody at this table..

Best,

She's hot. I'd listen to her.