Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Truckee, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I derive a lot of pleasure from understanding what makes a river "work". But while I'm describing the life histories of all the critters around us, I have no doubt Jim would be fishing circles around me. There is no substitute for being on the water all day, every day. Back when I was a guide, there was a certainty that I could pull out a given fish from a given spot at any given time. Today, I'm happy to catch a few fish, but no longer is anything a given. The torch has been passed without any regrets in the world.
    Ralph, I love the entomology. Thanks for pointing out the differences in the Nemouridae and skwalas. I learn something new every day!

I think that's the best part of fly fishing.......when you think you have it figured out, you learn something new.....or it all changes and you have to adapt.

I've been working on a skwala dry I think I might throw around this weekend....

I seriously doubt I would out-fish Ralph, because I would probably be watching, more than fishing.
    For the first twenty years I caught fish, and cared little for bugs.....while Ralph walked that path...
    Bugs were more trouble to learn, than I could deal with.
    My background is hunting of quarry, not matching the hatch.
    I avoid Latin like the plague, and don't have the grey cells left to learn it. Although I learned Nemouridae today.....
    So, I carry a bug seine and use it every time I go out.
    I carry a specimen vial filled with alcohol to keep anything interesting that's found.
    Then take it to the fly shop when I go shopping for flies.
    No Latin or silly fly names to learn.......
    If there isn't a fly that's close, I learn to tie it.
    That's called, an advantage.....especially in a one fly-shop town. (The fish here could stock the boxes...).

When you know where the fish is, and why, as well as what it's eating, (and after watching Ralph's video), you know how it should be served.......
    You won't need luck anymore, and you can go ahead and call yourself a FLY-FISHERMAN.
    And the fish will have your picture up at fish school.......Have you seen this man?

My goal now is to catch a fish with one drift, a bit like call pocket billiards...and spend the rest of the time out on water, observing.
    Instead of flogging the water for hours and catching a bunch. Big, or many was my process for many years....
    Now, knowing is more important than anything else.
    When you get to the stage when you can go to fish without luck, and turn bigger heads, just remember, the river becomes your responsibility. Treat it well.
    And if you don't figure out the bug this year, it will be back next year, just not on the same day......

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-14-2015 at 01:16 AM.

Great stuff in this thread! I think we could all learn a thing or two from reading and re-reading several of these posts (I sure have) by both Jim and Ralph. This thread speaks volumes to the experience and character of both to see the tone of the discussion. This is exactly the sort of thing that has lead to many an internet pissing match, and battle of egos. It's great to see such humility, and I cannot agree more with this concept of being the eternal student. As in all things in life: "There is always more to learn"

Thanks for furthering our collective education guys.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Yep, totally agree Jason. I know I've learned a bunch from both Ralph and Jim. Just regular guys who are "into it", good at what they do, and willing to share. You don't always see that in the fly fishing world. I've seen both ends of the sprectrum, runnin around the eastern Sierra........especially on the water.....I've encountered guides that I would never fish with, or recommend anyone to. I wont got into specifics, or name names. I've just come across behavior that was very off-putting, I guess you could say. I've also come across some great guys who are the ones I follow on line, recommend people to, etc.......

NV...
    wanted to say, nice fish, and fly....
    You may need a bigger net....which is a common problem on the T...

And I wore shorts and t-shirt yesterday, even wet waded for a bug sample....
    Seems like Spring...to me.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-14-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks Jim. Not a bad problem to have I guess, haha! That's a 30" Brodin, and I love it, but that long handled Nomad I saw you show on here looks pretty sweet......Which model was that? I've definitely been in situations on the T where a bigger, longer net would come in handy. Those Nomads look bomb proof as well.

Funny little aside. A buddy of mine moved out here from the east coast. He shows up to the T with a tiny little net. It was this cute little thing. I tried not to rib him too much. But I gave him the "you might wanna get a bigger net for this river" comment. He found out why pretty quick! haha.

I went with the guide net.
    But next will be the El jefe grande...
    Medium to long handle is better, because many fish here know what knees and a net mean.
    Getting them to the net is one thing, getting them in is another....

I was just looking at em again on the fishpond site.

El Jefe Grande......now that's a cool name for a net! If they had the El Guapo I'd be all over that one.

I like how they show you the size of the nets next to a 6' tall reference dude.

I can see why you might want the El Jefe Grande after having the Guide. Little longer, little bigger head.

I believe a nomad is definitely in my future.

Thought I would chime in to your net posts.......I bought the Nomad Mid-length last year and I walk & wade 99% of the time.

I love it! It is really nice especially when netting fish on my Spey rod.....Can't say anything bad about those nets......or would want to...lol

Quote Originally Posted by itsbenlong View Post
    Thought I would chime in to your net posts.......I bought the Nomad Mid-length last year and I walk & wade 99% of the time.

I love it! It is really nice especially when netting fish on my Spey rod.....Can't say anything bad about those nets......or would want to...lol

Any secrets about securing nets? I walk and wade 99.999% of the time and I hike a lot too. (Bushwhack might be a better term). I lost a brodin a couple months back on the truckee. Still mad about that. Hopefully somebody found it and its landed a few fish for them. I'm all for good karma. The magnetic system is nice when you reach the water but I need some sort of clip and clamp while I'm hiking.