Thread: Tough fish

Default Tough fish

Aloha, anyone ever catch one of these? It is a yellow finned surgeon fish or palau in hawaiian. They school up on the reef and are crazy strong. I have hooked them before and this is the first one I have landed. A client did land one before, and I told him I was very proud of the accomplishment. It was released back to the school. You just never know what you will get in salt water. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Don,
    That looks like it would be fun on an 8 weight or smaller. Pretty pose with the fins fully erect. I just read that these are primarily algae and small invertebrate feeders, what fly were you using?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thumbs up Surgeon Fish....

Good looking fish. Kinda looks like an really big, exotic Bluegill....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Aloha Tony,small shrimp pattern, white gotcha with rubber legs size 06. Darian, these fish are faster and stronger than a big bonefish. I think he didn't make a longer run into the coral because the school stayed around where I was standing. The blades on the tail will cut you like a scalpel. They say they are poisonous, but I never like find out.
    Don Memmer

Hey Don,
    One of our guys got one on our trip to CI in November. Cool fish.
    I couldn't get one to eat myself, but definitely gave them a few shots with bonefish flies when I ran into them.
    -Paul