Thread: "Fly Fishing" defined by BC Angling synopsis

Default "Fly Fishing" defined by BC Angling synopsis

I read this recently on a different fly fishing forum site:

fly fishing ... angling with a line to which only
    an artificial fly is attached (floats, sinkers, or attracting devices may not be attached to the line when fishing is restricted to "fly fishing only”).

Hank Patterson's video on the subject is quite comical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m0Q...ature=youtu.be

Maybe it's more appropriate to use the terms "indicator fishing" or "nymping" instead of "fly fishing" when we talk about the fishing we're doing? I post this only to communicate/share this, not to spark a debate etc.

Although I agree with their version of "fly fishing defined" - when I first picked up a fly rod I used an indicator myself. I ended up finding more pleasure in fishing without one. And hopefully that is why we are fishing the way we decide to fish, because we find the most pleasure in that way.

(Moderator(s) - if you want to move this to Fly Fishing General that's fine.)

It is inspiring to watch the Shoreline show with April Vokey. I watched it before going fishing on Saturday. One of her quotes was "By fishing a more challenging method you may enjoy the resource better." It inspired me to bring out the 5 WT switch and see if I could get one. Since I fish all styles of fly fishing I have some idea of the numbers for styles. Nymphs to flies 5 fish to every one on a dry trout fishing.
    In most cases Nymphs to skagit about the same 5 to one. Nymphs to Scandi 7-8 to one. April Vokey's camerawoman and friend Adrienne landed two huge steelhead during the show using a skagit line. April was using a Scandi setup in a big river and didn't do as well, but seemed to enjoy the day.

Hopefully this discussion can remain positive and respectful, my own comments are intended with that aim. Purely my own opinions, take them as is:

I totally agree about fishing the method that holds the most appeal aesthetically. I've fished with and without indicators, tightline nymphed, dead drifted flies wet and dry, swung flies and skated them, popped and chugged them too. Having had the pleasure of a tightline grab, there is no comparison for me anymore and I have very little interest in chasing fish with an indicator again. I've been particularly "ruined" by spey casting and swinging for steelhead. I would have to question the wisdom of anyone picking up a fly rod and "fly fishing" (however you care to define it) in a quest for maximum action and numbers. Thankfully fly fishing has lots more to offer in terms of enjoyment than just the number or size of fish caught. Some things are easily quantified, but some of the best are not, nor are they easily described with mere words. Despite our best efforts to describe or define the beauty and pleasure of "fly fishing", I believe it is still a very personal experience.

My personal take, is that it's somewhat arbitrary and pointless to attempt to narrow the definition of what is legitimate fly fishing. For instance, I'm not sure how 15' of T-20 is any more pure or righteous than a piece of split shot on a 12' mono leader, or an intruder with dumbell eyes. Are flies tied with synthetic fibers ok, or shall we limit "fly fishing" to only those flies tied with floss, fur, and feather? Is fishing a dry/dropper combination kind of straddling the line of fishing with an indicator? At what point does a "dry fly" become essentially a bobber? Are 2 flies ok? 3 flies? 5? Etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure that there are some lines that could be drawn, though I suspect that there is and will always be more contention than consensus on where exactly those lines can and should be drawn. I know I won't be the one to try and define what's legitimate fly fishing; I'm only interested in what methods and tackle I find ethical and pleasurable. I cringe every time I see similar efforts to define something narrowly enough to essentially exclude others. In the case of fly fishing, or really fishing in general, I don't think that it does us much good to create any further divisions than already exist.

Now if we're talking about defining the tackle and methods employed in terms of regulations applied specifically for the health and well being of the fishery, I am all for that. That however is a whole other topic of discussion, though it would be a very worthy discussion to have from time to time...

my 2cents, respectfully
    JB
    Last edited by JasonB; 02-09-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Good replies guys. cyama your #ers make sense. There are those that only fish top water grease line method and nothing else even if it only happens once a season. And then some don't even use a hook because they only care about the visually take of the fly off the surface.

JB - Great post...well though out indeed. These few sentences hit the nail square on the head: "Thankfully fly fishing has lots more to offer in terms of enjoyment than just the number or size of fish caught. Some things are easily quantified, but some of the best are not, nor are they easily described with mere words. Despite our best efforts to describe or define the beauty and pleasure of "fly fishing", I believe it is still a very personal experience"

Thanks for wording that so well. Maybe you want to think about authoring a fly fishing articles on the side? I think many are with you about the "ruined" by spey casting and swinging part. I'm happy for all those who found the type of fishing that has "ruined" them. Certainly we are each lucky to have found that part of life.