Thread: Eel River...

Default Eel River...

A glimmer of hope-
    My pursuit of the fish of the North Coast has led me to figuring out a way to get up there sometime during the winter run for many seasons now. Having been employed and thankful for that, my opportunities have been limited... I have randomly guessed when the conditions might be right four months in advance since that is when I choose my weeks off- I post this because my dream finally came true- checking weather conditions a few days before the week I chose, I was astonished to discover conditions would be favorable- my loyal friend Carlo Proto agreed and we embarked upon the 300 mile trip...
    I was not only lucky enough to catch a wild Eel River steelhead but fortunate beyond all belief to hook and land a second one the next day! After much dedication to learn and fastidiously pursue a dream, I was rewarded and I am thankful beyond what mere words can convey. Thank you to all the Kiene's staff and bulletin board members- the dream lives...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	February 4 Eel River Steelhead.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	10369  

Awesome, Don!

What a chromer that one is.

I think the recent rain will be bringing a few more back soon.

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by Don Powell View Post
    A glimmer of hope-
    My pursuit of the fish of the North Coast has led me to figuring out a way to get up there sometime during the winter run for many seasons now. Having been employed and thankful for that, my opportunities have been limited... I have randomly guessed when the conditions might be right four months in advance since that is when I choose my weeks off- I post this because my dream finally came true- checking weather conditions a few days before the week I chose, I was astonished to discover conditions would be favorable- my loyal friend Carlo Proto agreed and we embarked upon the 300 mile trip...
    I was not only lucky enough to catch a wild Eel River steelhead but fortunate beyond all belief to hook and land a second one the next day! After much dedication to learn and fastidiously pursue a dream, I was rewarded and I am thankful beyond what mere words can convey. Thank you to all the Kiene's staff and bulletin board members- the dream lives...

That is a hell of a fish, bright and heavy! Congratulations and thanks for some winter inspiration!

Gorgeous fish there Don! I know that fish wasn't an easy one, as my wife and I were there fishing hard for 3 days with no more than a tentative pluck or two between us. I think we actually bumped into you guys? Very well done, a magnificent fish in an even more magnificent setting.
    Cheers,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Well done Don. Congrats!

I have no doubt that Carlo was stoked to see you have such a successful outing as well. He's an excellent fishing partner.

Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Hats off to you Don, that's a beauty and congrats! I'll bet that one will be etched in the memory bank for some time How was the take?

Excellent Don! You hit the "window." The river in Scotia this morning is 136,000 cfs.

Thanks All! It was a pleasure to share water with you, Jason! Ken, my only disappointment was that Carlo didn't hook one- he presented beautifully and fished his heart out! I am lucky to be able to travel and fish with him. He tailed the fish in the photo for me or there might not have been a photo! Mark, "soft" take, one third through the swing the fly stopped, then two head shakes and I knew it was not a submerged willow branch!