Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 weight and 8 weight recommendations

Default 12 weight and 8 weight recommendations

I just got back from my first overseas fishing trip and I think I caught the travel bug.

So I am planning on going to Christmas Island in 2017 and wondered if anyone can offer 12 and 8 weight rod and reel recommendations.

I have Helios 2 9 and 10 weights that I'll be bringing on the trip.

Thanks!

Bill

i have an 8wt 9ft helios 2 and i think it is the best rod i have ever owned ...
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

Scott is building killer rods these days, of all the manufacturers their new sticks are my favorite

There are SOOOO many good rods out there today, you've asked an impossible question. What it comes down to is "Budget" and "Your personal preference". Everybody is going to favor or suggest what "they" like or have. " I like Scott, or I like Sage, or I like this or that". It really doesn't matter what "they " like, it matters what YOU like.

So how do YOU find out what feels best to you? You go into a reputable fly shop and talk with one or more of the salesmen. Sense if they're really trying to help you, or, are they pushing last years models so as to change stock and reduce old inventory.

Once you get some good vibes from these guys ask if you can try a couple of different rods with the same line so as to compare. Go outside and cast them and don't rush your decision. Try each one a couple of times and you'll begin to sense the differences in each rod. Is one soft and full flex?, is one stiff and heavy at the tip? is one lighter than the other? After a little trial casting you'll begin to favor one more than another and that's what YOU want.

The salesmen will tell you if it's a completely wrong application or a bad choice and why. But ultimately if it feels good to you and casts well for you that's all that matters.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I agree with Tony, try some rods! One might love the sage and another hate it , comes down to personal preference of the feel of a rod. Myself, I have never been a sage guy but I have many friend's that like them. Good luck on your search and don't rush it...try them all! You may like a TFO or Echo that's a 1/3 of the price. Have fun & good luck!

Aloha Bill, I am a sales rep for TFO so I am very biased. I think there are many great 8wt rods out there. TFO makes the BVK and it is very light and fun to cast. The mangrove series is great for short quick casts and has more backbone. There are other models and the TFO pro is a great rod for saltwater and a super back up rod choice. For offshore it is tough to beat the bluewater series. They can put a hurt on big mahi and are tough enough to land big GT's and tuna. You might encounter them at CI. I agree that you should test them for your self if you have an opportunity. Lots of great rods out there. The TFO line up will allow you to purchase a couple of rods for the price of a top end model. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Thanks to all for the advice and feedback.

I bought most of my gear, Sage Xi3 9 wt and Helios 2 10 weight, from Kienes. I have been supporting this great shop over the years and almost all my rods and reels from light 1 weights to switch and spey outfits have been bought from Kienes.

So I'll be bugging those guys again for this next trip.

Btw, Don, I have a TFO BVK 8 weight that I use for bass. Great rod and will bring that as a backup.

12wt I would get a sage Salt. Awesome 12 weight. as for 8 weight, i have a sage method and love it. I have a buddy that prefers the salt b/c it does have a softer tip.

Both are a big upgrade over the Xi3. I have a 9 weight XI3. I agree that a 9 is a better general weight to go with in salt. the 9 weight method is awesome and the salt is very good as well.

As to reels, I have tibor signature for both. Great Reels.
    Last edited by Tony; 03-05-2015 at 09:50 PM.

Christmas Island is still one of the finest destinations for any fly fisher.

It is my wife, Marilyn's favorite place to fish. She usually out fished me there because she could see the fish better and is a good very caster to about 60 feet.

We both have lots of wonderful native friends there too.

All wading (no boat needed} for Bonefish on lots of light colored bottoms is to die for.

Try to get it on your bucket list......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

We see this sort of question fairly often and Tony nailed the answer - there's plenty of excellent rods, you need to find the one(s) that work for your casting style. The only thing I would add is to not be afraid to try a different line weight on a rod. Usually one line heavier for most faster action salt water rods but not always. Rio lines tend to be made slightly heavier than some other manufacturers. I can really the feel the difference when I upline a Sage TCR - feels so much better to me. So if you find a rod that feels pretty good, is in your price range, maybe ask if you can try another line weight just to see how it casts.