Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depth Control

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Rmac,
    George Daniel has some very helpful videos:
    here's one on getting the fly low in the water column while nymphing.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9XlK3Q5mcU
    Best,
    Larry S
    Hi Larry,
    Not quite applicable for spey. Was more along the lines of swinging flies.

discussion is more or less: extra heavy fly on a floating line vs heavy sink tip an an unweighted fly or lightly weighted fly.

Long leader with a floating line and a worm weight is pretty frosty

Quote Originally Posted by TaylerW View Post
    Long leader with a floating line and a worm weight is pretty frosty
    Hey Tayler,
    Thats what I was thinking. I bought some tungsten worm weights to put in front of a couple flies if I want to get down in some fast/ bouldery runs that i want to pick a part if I believe fish are there, the boulders will cause me to hang up with a sink tip. I have a floating tip for my skagit, was thinking about a 5 foot leader with a tungsten weight should get me down 3-4 feet, then I'll swing the fly up in front of individual boulders and kind of pick the run apart. It may work, it may not but I'll find out .

A few years back I tried fishing a fairly heavy intruder type fly on a scandi with a 5 ips versileader with roughly 4-5 feet of Tippett maybe more which gave me the equivalent of like a 15' leader. Basically I made my cast, then fed slack to allow it to drop into whatever slot or hole I thought was looking super fishy, then let it swing through and RISE up out of the hole. They were absolutely clobbering it on the rise kind of near the dangle point. So I wasn't really fishing it to swing in towards the bank, I was setting myself up so that I could almost get it to hang in the strike zone. That week I think it was just the right combo of color/size/action and the conditions were just right. Super hot aggressive wild fish were all over it. I haven't really been able to duplicate that same magic since but I got the inspiration to try it after seeing Scott Howell do something similar using an AFS with long leader and heavy fly. This was a few years back when we actually had water that was deep and somewhat fast.

So yes, I've tried it and it can be very effective.

Oh and I was using the scandi simply because I liked casting it more than my Skagit and the versileader to help move the heavier fly.
    Last edited by smokeater; 02-12-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    So yes, I've tried it and it can be very effective.

Oh and I was using the scandi simply because I liked casting it more than my Skagit and the versileader to help move the heavier fly.
    Good god, can't imagine casting a heavy fly on my scandi! Definitely not knocking it, but I love my skagit lines. I even have floating tips for fishing it like a scandi. Love the way they load. I have the new Skagit max long. 28 ft + a ten foot tip makes it more or less the legnth of my scandi. It wont turn over as easy as my skagit short because 525/20ft =26.25 grains/foot vs 525/28 = 18.75 grains/ft. But what it lacks for grains / foot it makes up in line speed.

But I totally see why your method had worked. I learned when I use to nymph that fish will often take a fly presented to slow over too fast. More or less if you could dangle it in front of them they had plenty of time for instinct to kick in and grab the fly.

But not to compare these methods to gear guys, but its almost like a plug method ( which we all cannot deny works). If you dangle it in front of them the pattern will be more "intrusive" and they will be likely to strike out of aggression.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID95670 View Post
    yes i have

but u made me a nympher
    No surprise.