Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Please retire as soon as you can.........seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by gitt View Post
    Here is a someone who figured it out- early retirement by controlling spending habits and paying the minimum in taxes by keeping a low taxable income level via qualified dividends and capital gains. Get your taxable income down low enough and the tax rate drops to zero on the qualified dividends and capital gains. It isn't a life style enjoyed by all, but hey, it works. Here is the link- http://www.gocurrycracker.com/how-to...e-in-your-30s/
    Good stuff gitt. This guy has it nailed and it's how I tried to live my life so far. Living below your means is the key - not income. I had a six figure salary for 10+ years, yet I've lived in an in-laws quarters during that time for $600 a month including utilities and cooked most of my meals. It provides everything I need and kept me from filling up a MC-mansion with useless, expensive STUFF.

For me, the corporate grind would of felt like prison if I wouldn't of had the F@#$ You money. Some of the "leaders" running Corporate America these deals are simply bad people with little in the way of integrity or character. Again, some of them, not all or even most. If you find yourself under one of these slugs, and you're living paycheck to paycheck, it can become a hell for some. When they gave me my walking papers and severance I had a big smile on my face. The H.R. rep said "you are taking this much better anyone else." I just replied, "of course, I won"

To all the young folks out there, please do yourself a favor and live below your means and invest the remainder! It will buy your freedom and the gift of....Time.

Quote Originally Posted by k9mark View Post
    Retire? Unless of course you work for an employer who broke your contract, filed bankruptcy, and caused you to lose 30k of your salary, lose your home, lose your car, oh, and destroy your Healthcare plan....I figure I'll die working now.
    I retired at 55 because my employer (very likely the same employer you have) told us we would lose our lifetime heathcare if we did not retire by June 2012. Well, we lost our lifetime healthcare anyway when the employer filed for bankruptcy. They paid less than 1% of the lifetime healthcare's worth to all retirees. I do not miss working at all though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hall View Post
    That way you'll have even more time to post more superfluous crap on this board.
    Ron, when are you going to contribute something of use to the board? Will you wait until you retire?

jd,
    After Ron Hall's big dump in his one and only post, we can't accuse him of posting more superfluous crap.
    I suspect that he has been banned from this board under another ID.
    Best,
    Larry S

Larry -

Thank you very much for the insight!

Sincerely, Bob

Well - getting closer - Now have my soon to be full time home - 32' artic fox and the vehicle I will tow it with - 3/4 ton Chevy Diesel
    (PS - Photobucket seems different - not popping up photo without clicking on the link?)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...psotqnjsk1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...pspmt0i3x9.jpg
    Last edited by Rick J; 05-11-2015 at 06:48 AM.

I hope you live forever Rick, you got some wonderful years ahead of you now.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Rick -

Spectacular...I had to look at, and thoroughly enjoy, each picture a few times. I can only imagine the great happiness and comfort that your new home will provide you, and I have a pretty good imagination.

Thank you for sharing.

Best of luck!

Bob

Rick,
    Hope you have Internet connection with your home on wheels. Always look forward to your contributions here and
    on speypages.
    Best to ya,
    Larry S

I don't know much about lots of things but I watched and witnessed mostly men go through their lives working 50 years in the sporting goods business.

I am 71 and I just listened to a talk show last week where they were talking about two different surveys they took asking elderly folks what they regretted most in their lives.

Most regretted not traveling more or being able to travel more when they were younger.

My advise is to take some good trips while you are young if you can and try to retire or semi-retire as soon as you can.

Now at 71 years of age I feel I am pretty much and expert in this retirement stuff.

Every year you work is one less that you will have in your retirement life.

I love retirement but the only thing wrong is that I still don't have enough time to do everything I want to do.

PS: Be sure to take really good care of your body.

Get your eyes checked, keep you teeth in shape, have a physical every year.....

Money is not worth much if you are all screwed up when you are retired.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........