Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Please retire as soon as you can.........seriously.

Default Please retire as soon as you can.........seriously.

When I was only in my 30s I knew I wanted to be retired.

I was so blessed to have a dozen or so dear old fly fishing mentors who were part of the Greatest Generation.

Most of them fished a lot during their working lives and they all seem to retire at a fairly young age. Some of them had 20 to 30 years of good years in their retirement.

My number one fly fishing mentor and friend is Joe Shirshac, 92. He took me with him all over Nor Cal and Oregon. We even fished Christmas Island, British Columbia, Labrador, Nova Scotia and Alaska together.

My favorite fishing with Joe was on the middle Klamath River in the Fall for Steelhead back in the 1970s.

We fished had early and late in the day in the low light. In the day time we would visit some of Joe's old friends who were retired with their travel trailers in an RV Camp Ground on the banks of the river.

These people would come up to the Klamath ever fall for one, two or three months. That way they were there after the rains when the big schools of Steelhead came up the river to spawn.

After seeing that I always dreamed of spending a month on the Klamath River ever fall after I retired.

No matter what you are thinking about retirement, trust em, try to tretire as soon as you can.

This is one area that I think I am more knowledgeable than most here because I spent almost 50 years in the fishing tackle business talking with many as they went through all this. Almost no body I know said they wish they had not retired.

**If you really can't afford to, then that is one of the only good excuses.

Call me or email or PM me if you want to talk about this.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great advice and so true. When I'm not guiding in the summer, I have a "real" job - used to be one of the best jobs. But then, as in so many other professions, there came the "Wal-Marting" of my profession where a few big firms corner all the business with their lower-than-low rates, and they ruined the profession. So I don't work much these days at my "real" job because I'm really, really picky about who I will work with, but I wished I had planned better for this eventuality when I was younger. Fortunately, my wife is younger than I and she has a very good job, so I'm hoping to do more local fishing from now on. But for you young guys, take what Bill said to the bank (literally).

We have 10 years to go. I should be retired by the time I am 57 or 58 at the most!!!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Bill,

I have 4.2 years (I will be 50 straight up) of my real job and I am done. My house is paid for and my travel trailer is paid for. Working on finishing college for the kids. Kirsten has 9 more years. We will be able to choose what we like to do. My biggest fear is one of us getting hurt in the line of duty.

I want to be like you - living the high life!!!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

I retired 13 years ago and never looked back. Although some people keep telling me that I'm not retired since I'm hosting a bunch of baja trips, and doing trips to Belize and soon I'll be going to Christmas Island. While I was still employed, I was doing the Baja trips but not as many. On my first day of retirement, I woke up and was getting ready for work and my wife told me to go back to bed because "today is your first day of retirement" From that day forward, i spent 5 days a week fishing the beaches... M - F, I'd guess you'd say sort of like having a job except my office was Palm Beach and Sunset beach.
    I had a good job for the first 5 years of employment but then when the company did their first reorganization, it went to hell in a hand basket and is still in the same spot. I spent 31 years at one job Fortunately, I invested heavy into my 401k and started drawing on that without penalty when I was 55. For you young people, if you have ever thought about drawing the funds from your 401k early, you can. It's called a 72T. BUT the big thing is once you start drawing on your 401k you can't stop, change the amount you take until your 59 1/2 or you will get PENALIZED BIG TIME... Then when I turned 62, I started drawing my SS... You always here, "don't draw it until your 66.
    But what if you die before that age..too late. Between the age of 62 and 66 they (social security people) figured it would take my 11 1/2 years to make up the difference. Now my wife turned 62 and has started drawing half of my SS. It's called spousal benefits.
    Anyway, I totally agree with Bill. Retire as early as you can, you won't regret it. I have pretty much fished where i want, caught what i want and have made a lot of friends over the years. On my bucket list is a 100lb rooster fish. I've been close but close doesn't count. If that day ever comes (hopefully this season) I'm going into "full retirement" and selling all my fishing equipment.
    Yeah, there are some days I get bored but I can sit in the back yard and watch the grass grow. Or play with the grand kids everyday. Or listen to my BOSS - The wife

Jay

I can retire right now, I am 55 and have over 30years of teaching. But I love teaching get 18 sick days a year, get summers and winter and spring and fall break. I live in Hawaii and can fish for bonefish and trevally every day of the year. I guide and travel and get to go offshore all the time for free with friends. Like tomorrow we are going after some of the big 200+lb ahi around. Do I need to retire, no, but I am lucky where I live and what I do. Glad you are enjoying life Bill, I think that is the bottom line. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Default and then there is the other side of the coin...

I turn 50 next week and have likely 15-20 years to go before I can think of retiring if I live that long.
    Life has dealt some fun cards and the result of them has taken my retirement at a poor level. I've never spent tons of money on anything, always been frugal, but kids, the career choices that mandated, a failed marriage and restarting a career at 47 does not leave me well positioned. I'm not whining- I have a truly great career doing something that really helps people live longer lives, and I enjoy my life a great deal. Still it would be nice to be on downhill side of planning with real finish line in sight.

Bill is right, if you can, plan to retire early enough to enjoy life.

Agree with all that's said in this thread. However, the best time to go fishing is when you can. Not very original,
    but practical. Life is a roll of the dice. Don't want to play the "angel of death," but look at all the surprises the grim reaper
    can spring on us.
    I'm in my late 70's and thank my lucky stars that I was able to get into some fabulous fishing on the Smith, Rogue, Chetco,
    etc in the 60's and 70's as well as a few trips to Canada and Alaska. A number of them involved sleeping in the truck or on the ground.
    Some may have spouses that want to "keep up with the jonses."
    My ideal prototype couple would be the Kienes or David and Candida Lee. I hope that all of you have the opportunity
    to live out those dreams.
    I'm still going strong; surf fishing several times a week, planning a North Coast steelhead trip in mid. Feb, and a yearly
    trout/smallmouth trek to Michigan.
    Best to all Kiene members,
    Larry S

I agree with Mr T. It's a minefield out there, and the more mines you can avoid (failed marriage, kids needing to borrow money, medical issues for you and/or your spouse), the easier the path to retirement. Plus, my observations is that folks who are left money, property, houses by either or both sets of parents have a whole lot easier path than those who get no inheritance.
    So you play the hand you're dealt and, as Larry said, take advantage of the opportunities you get.

Some better advice is just try to fish a little more as you go through life because it is more fun when your body works better.

Semi-retirement is good too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........