Thread: Best Bet For Fishing Superbowl Weekend

Question Best Bet For Fishing Superbowl Weekend

Hey Guys,
    I live in the Sacramento area and have a buddy coming up from down south. We are looking to go camping and flyfish for the weekend, maybe do some hiking. I have been checking some of the reports for various area's up north, but it seems like spots have been hit or miss due to water conditions. I wanted to see if anyone has any advice for what would be a good spot to get on some fish this weekend.

We will be wading and dont have a board. I was thinking the Trinity at first, but reports have been mixed. Has anyone been lately, is it wadeable or would I be better off coming at a time when I have access to a boat?

It looks like the Yuba has been hit or miss from what ive read. Anybody have any suggestions for a good spot to hit this weekend? Steelehead/Rainbows doesnt matter, just want to get into some fish.

Thanks!

Mike O Guest

My friend who fishes the Yuba regular loves SB weekend. He says the skwalas are usually on, and the crowds are down.

Default Best Bet....

Baum Lake, BWO's, good camp ground

Is it worth driving up to the upper parts of the Yuba, or should i stick to fishin the lower yuba?

I like the trinity also but if you want solitude and fat rainbows with a few browns sprinkled in then the Pit River should be your destination. There is a nice PG&E campground at Pit #4 and you should have the place to yourselves.

just two and half days on the trinity. Very wadeable however, fishing was slow. Between three of us managed to only land several half-pounders. Nothing of any size. Saw many drift boats and all indicated it was slow as well.

The Lower Yuba has been VERY spotty lately. I heard from the guy who cleans the fish ladders and underwater cameras at Daguerre that most of the rainbows are below the dam right now. He thinks they may have moved into the deeper water closer to the Feather. That was the case last year at this time too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccorrin View Post
    Is it worth driving up to the upper parts of the Yuba, or should i stick to fishin the lower yuba?

So we ended up camping up at Pit #4. Was pretty cold at night, but manageable. Almost nobody else fishing but saw a few fly anglers saturday. We fished Pit #3 and had some success on large rubber leg's and flashback pheasant tails.

Not an expert on this river by any means, but for anyone new to this river, try to get your fly down as soon as possible and make short roll casts off your drift to avoid the bushes. The blackberry bushes can be brutal on this river. Here is a photo from the trip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10974325_1036299733052119_2431981745638450010_o.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	10351

Nice fish! Glad you had some success. I love the Pit. the wading is very difficult but worth the effort.