Thread: 4 inch Foxx Furr, Craft fur isn't available any more.

Default 4 inch Foxx Furr, Craft fur isn't available any more.

Some of my favorite Foxx Furr colors were getting low so i went down to Kiene's to replace them, after talking to Andy i found out the Targus company that was selling the 4 inch Foxx Furr has been out of business for the last 2 years and Kiene's only had a few colors left.
    Most of the fly shops sell only the 3 inch craft fur, and after doing a cyber search it looks like 3 inch long craft fur is what the fabric manufacture are selling.
    It looks like i have enough materials for about 20 flies then FLOW will no longer flow.

This is the 4 inch Foxx Furr

Here are some other web sites that the same problem has been talked about 2 years ago.
    http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=149667
    https://www.facebook.com/pilecast.ne...90468881059549
    Last edited by gene goss; 01-24-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Default Craft Fur Sunbstitute???....

I think Lee Haskins might have some of the Targus material left, in various colors. He used it to create his streamers. If not, he might be able to suggest a substitute. I don't have his website but you should be able to Google it.

Also, as an alternative, you might look into Arctic Fox or Temple Dog material. I've see some of each that look like the fibers might be 4" in length. I've found that Arctic Fox is soft and moves very well in water.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I was going to suggest contacting Lee but Darian beat me to it. His website is www.gurglersonline.com. I tie a lot of flies with marble fox which I get from http://www.foxy-tails.co.uk/. There is nothing else like their fox tails for length, quality, and colors but it is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHEYE View Post
    I tie a lot of flies with marble fox which I get from http://www.foxy-tails.co.uk/. There is nothing else like their fox tails for length, quality, and colors but it is expensive.
    Interesting site, Fisheye. And lo and behold, they carry something called "Polish Quills Magic Carpet" which is craft fur with hair that "averages 100mm-120mm long" which sounds like exactly what Gene needs. Suspect there will be other sources because it is not like Targus actually produced the product, they just repackaged it. Finding the right color is probably the bigger problem...
    Last edited by JD; 01-24-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    -JD

Default Craft Fur Substitute???....

I forgot to mention wig hair as a viable substitute. Comes in a variety of colors (with the exception of olive) and lengths (around 24"). Wig hair comes in different denier (thickness) and can be straight or crinkled. Easy to add flash (like angel hair) to it.

You can buy some wig hair for less than $5.00 per package and, unless you're a commercial tyer, have enough to last for the rest of your life. The only color I was unable to locate was olive but found that Jay Murakoshi died some. Maybe you could buy some from him(??)....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

"extra select" craft fur from hairline should be the 4 inch variety.

http://www.hareline.com/xcf.html
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

I like to thank everyone for the replys....i'm going to order a some of these material suggestion and tie up a fly, and put it in my fish tank to see how they look.
    Darian....wig hair
    Fisheye...Marble Fpx
    JD..........Polish Quills Magic Carpet
    Dan LeCount.....Extra Select Craft Fur
    Thanks again

Dang, I just gave away a bunch of Targas fur. I had packs from way back when Targas first started. I will be bring a bunch of wig hair to the Pleasanton show to demo and sell. I only have a couple packs of olive. I haven't had a chance to dye any since the fog has set in and the hair won't dry in damp, wet, drizzly fog. I'll also have a bunch of misc fly tying materials at a real cheap price.
    I'll be located at the tying tables.
    I have the first program on the day - Friday 11am Roosters on the Fly and I have the last Tying Demo on Friday in the Tying Theater
    Demo'ing wig hair patterns. I've been tying up some Hollow Flys using wig hair. I will also show and maybe tie a Cam Sigler billfish fly, if time permits.

Jay

Hareline "Extra Select Craft Fur" is the same as Targus "Foxxy Fur".

We have it at Kiene's Fly Shop......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........