Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perch Ice Fishing Record

Question Rye Patch Resrvoir....???

How about checking out Rye Patch Reservoir in Nevada for the same type fish you're looking for:

http://parks.nv.gov/parks/rye-patch-...creation-area/

Open all year and looks like it might be a bit closer than than some of the places we've suggested already. Maybe a lot colder right now, tho....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by salmonid View Post
    I didn't mean any disrespect, John, and I didn't mean to suggest the Yellow perch were of any decent size there.

In fact, I've never been there just going off the CA fish guy Peter Moyle's book (2002 edition) note- size of fish was not indicated.

Best,
    Oh no none taken! I read that too- have Moyle's book and targeted them hoping for a sandwich. Alas a no go... It is actually that process that got me fired up on perch again. When I was a kid my Dad and I would fly fish the perch run on the eastern shore of Maryland. Good times and classic wet flies. They fight ok and really are yummy. But then again I think catfish are yummy! If I could find a farm pond within an hour of Truckee that isn't built to hold back mercury laden sediment and has perch or crappie, and has sunfish and bass (where I grew up those were all lumped into the same term-bream)...oh man that would be great!
    Rye Patch...there are big fish in there but you have to walk past a bunch of consumption warning signs. Went out to Yerington ponds last week. There is a sign up that says "avoid touching the water". yikes! Oh well, been out here 20 years now; maybe I'll find that pond some day. My Dad used to fish Ranch Seco in the 60s-70s and said it was pretty fun.

Gotcha John!