Thread: Anyone fish South Yuba near Bridgeport?

Default Anyone fish South Yuba near Bridgeport?

My son is living up near Nevada City this semester and was wondering about flyfishing the South Yuba near Bridgeport and Englebright. Anyone have any experience or insights to share?

I have fished the Yuba above the town of Washington a few times. It is a short drive from Nevada City and the fishing was decent.

I have not fished the South Yuba, so I don't really know for sure. What I can tell you is that the river down lower near Bridgeport gets very warm in the summer, probably partly why it's so popular for swimming. I would guess that there are probably some browns and rainbows that do move up into the lower reaches of the river at times when the water temps are more reasonable though...
    Higher up I would guess the temps would be cooler for a bit longer, after coming out of Spaulding the river goes through a pretty steep gorge for a bit (lots more shade, and some deep pools). If I were closer I'd certainly spend some time exploring, very pretty stream if nothing else
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

There are a few trout but it gets pretty warm during the summer so they disappear up river or drop down into the lake...Best fishing is during the spring for smallmouth. just start walking down from the Covered bridge and fish the deep water with a sinking line and a fly that gets to the bottom. Cover water to find them.