Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: swivels on leaders

Default swivels on leaders

Do you or should you use a swivel on a fly line leader? If so where is the best place other than far enough not to jamb it in the tippy top eye if you do happen to catch a fish. Fishing on the AR with its current and constant casting up stream I was wondering if it would help to keep things working right, or if its really even an issue. I don't use a bobber/indicator but probably should. I have enough issues getting everything going out to were I intend to with out the extra bobber too.
    I have the Running line, shooting head, sink tip, leader, slit shot sometimes, tippet and a few flies ta'boot

I use the rio swivels with braided loops they sell for spey lines on my Sagit Short - MOW tips system. I scoffed at $18 for 3. Then I wasted slightly more money trying to do it myself. Sigh. Easy to loop into your setup to see if they help.

I use them under indicators. Spro micro swivels

Default Swivels in Leaders???....

For salt water, the main reason for using swivels in your set-up is to keep you fly line from twisting while fighting a fish that sounds a fights while circling or trolling. I've caught Black Skipjack and Yellowfin Tuna on the fly and if hooked while casting, I've not experienced twisted line. However, I've seen the result on a fly line after trolling a fly for a while and it's not pretty.

So, I've used a small sized Spro swivel at the terminal end of a twisted leader when trolling a fly in salt water. The last few years at La Ventana, we spent a lot of time moving from one prospective spot to another due to a lack of bait and it came in handy to have one rod set-up to troll between stops. I tied on a two foot tippet of 20# test to the swivel. It didn't seem to impair the action but it was hard to judge as the bite was slower than normal. Another option would be to place the swivel up near the connection to the line if using a twisted leader.

Trolling isn't something that I normally like to do and don't recommend a swivel in the leader while casting. If using a swivel (even small one) in your set up, don't bring it into the tip top guide on your rod, it's sure to hang up....
    Last edited by Darian; 02-06-2015 at 12:43 AM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

We were on the Deschutes a few years back with Mark Bachman, Josh Lynn and Simon Gawesworth through Flyfishusa's steelhead program. Josh was in transition making the move from retail to repping for Shimano. Josh, who had been experimenting with the swivel design provided us with samples of his system. This was before Rio picked them up in their distribution channel. Found it interesting to discuss the concept with Josh and even more so how a product comes to market without the knowledge of the intent. Got to give Rio credit alone with their packaging design to lend a perceived value of this product. The originals I have came in a sandwich baggie.

Taylor...what size???

I use spro swivels on my nymph rig. I use 3' of 20-30 braided line and attach a swivel there. The. I just run straight leader material at whatever size line I decide. The swivel prevents line twist in swift current and the braid doesn't kink if I'm adjusying an indicator all day. I tight line with this as well. Never a problem. I learned this from Matt "Gilligan" who guides the Truckee. I'll never buy tapered leaders for nymphing again. Saves me lots of money.

20lb spro microswivels. Super tiny

Yea, the little black Spros are killer for nymph rig transitions between your leader of braid or heavy tippet and your lighter tippet by the fly.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

I use the same SPro swivel when I'm fishing big bushy dries. Less twist