Thread: Ambergris Caye and Naples, FL (Feb/Mar 2015)

Default Ambergris Caye and Naples, FL (Feb/Mar 2015)

I will be traveling to Ambergris Caye, Belize from Feb 27 through Mar 6, staying at the Las Terrazas Resort, about a 15 minute walk north of El Pescador lodge. I know there are quite a few older posts on the site about fishing this area, but I just wanted to ask for any additional advice people might have with respect to guide recommendations and potential DIY opportunities. I plan on hiring a guide for 3 or 4 days, and fishing for a few hours on my own on the remaining days. Does anyone have personal experience with guides in the area who they would recommend? Also, if anyone has knowledge of where I might be able to find some DIY fishing near my resort, I would appreciate it. From what I have read, it appears that this is not really a "DIY" destination, but I can probably find some bones if I go looking.

I have read that some folks suggest weedless flies for fishing bonefish in this area due to the omnipresent turtle grass. I am not a very good tyer, does anyone have any opinions on this or know where I can order some weedless crazy charlies and other bonefish flies?

After Belize, I will be in Naples, Florida for a few days (Mar 7 through Mar 9). If anyone has any guide recs or fishing info on this area, it would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

I am so jealous! Ambergris Caye, San Pedro is amazing!!! The food on that island is to die for. Check out "my secret deli", "akbol" while you are there. Its a must!

But as for fishing look no further than Tres Pescadores fly shop. Wil Flack is an amazing guide that will show you all around the numerous flats and mangroves. Three thumbs up!

I'll second Will Flack but make sure that you ask for Will. I was there in October when Will wasn't there (he was guiding in BC) and I went out with his number one guide Rojo and while he was an ok guy and good at finding fish he was just WAY to intense for my liking, as in getting pissed off if I lost a fish, which erked me and my wife a bit (actually ruined it for her as she was too intimidated to fish). I have heard GREAT things about Will, and have exchanged a number of emails with him and seems like a standup guy. I WOULD use his service again but would try and get him as the guide--he should be around when you are there.

Deffinately eat at Waruguma for lunch one day. Their Lobster Burritto is one of the best things I have ever had, and the best bang for your buck on the island IMO.

Lots of private property would make walking anywhere sight fishing for bones (DIY) pretty tough, but if your resort has access to kayaks you could easily find places to catch fish on your own.

I traveled to Ambergris Caye to relax and do some fishing back in late July 2014.

This was my first experience casting to bonefish. I fished with both Wil Flack and Rojo from Tres Pescados Fly Shop and thought they were stand-up guys and solid fishing guides despite my less than stellar performance at the bow. I got along really well with Rojo and thought he brought great local insight to the experience. I never got the over-bearing guide vibe. I would highly recommend booking your guides through Tres Pescados Fly Shop or Yellow Dog Fly Fishing.

I really liked the shop kid Daniel too. He's about 14-15 years old and grew up on the island. He fished with us one of the days. Watch out for that kid when he gets a bit older.

My wife and I stayed in a bungalow we found on VRBO that was 10 miles north of San Pedro. The place was not very accessible by road, so we stocked up on food and beer in town before shoving off on the water taxi and didn't really see civilization again until we returned four or five days later. The place came with a cell phone for emergencies and WiFi so we were connected when needed.

I coordinated the fishing guides beforehand and they picked us up on our private dock in the mornings and dropped us back after fishing. It worked out perfectly. I fished with the Tres Pescados guides for a day and a half is all, then I went DIY for the remaining three or four days.

There were miles of fishable turtle grass flats in either direction form our bungalow. They were segmented by private docks and most held bonefish.

It was hot that time of year, so I would fish for a few hours in the morning, come back and drink Belekins and relax in the hammock under the palm trees during the day, then head back out for a few hours in the evening.

I would walk the trail along the beach and look for tails and wakes. Or just pick a flat, wade out a ways and slowly work my way from dock to dock.

I’d imagine you could do the same from your resort. If not, I would get the water taxi schedule and see if you can hitch a ride on the water taxi up to one of the docks up north and catch a ride back when you're done fishing. They run regularly.

It seemed like I would spot fish every 15-30 minutes or so. I’m not sure if that is considered fast action or not, but it kept me busy. Precise casting, timing and presentation were required to get a grab. I would say I had about a 10% fish spotted vs. fish hooked ratio. It was tough, but very fun.

I would highly recommend weedless flies for Ambergris Caye. The flats are shallow and covered in turtle grass which is super snaggy. Crab flies were the ticket. I caught most of my fish on a green grab imitation Daniel called ‘The Turd.’ I would recommend stopping at the fly shop in San Pedro when you get off the plane and pick up some flies there. Double-check on their hours before you leave as I think they are closed Sundays or Mondays. Make sure to go weedless!

All you really need gear-wise is a 7-8 weight rod, floating line, 12-15’ leaders and flouro tippet. Be sure to bring flats booties and long tube socks to go under them, oh and the best polarized shades you can get your hands on.

This trip was the most fun I’ve had with a fly rod in a long time even though I didn’t bring a ton of fish to hand. Not sure if it was the technical and focus-demanding nature of fishing for bones, the beautiful island atmosphere, or the seemingly non-stop action, but I had a blast.

To wrap-up a much longer than necessary post, I feel compelled to share the obligatory hero shot. I had been fishing unsuccessfully for hours and finally hooked up and brought a smaller bonefish to hand when two ladies came walking down the beach. I had been solo most of the trip and didn’t have many flics of me with fish, so I politely asked if they would snap a quick photo for me. They obliged. I thanked them and quickly slipped my iPhone back into my pack and continued fishing.

Later that evening, while sitting on the veranda sipping a brew, I decided I would look to see if the lady from earlier in the day had indeed captured what I was certain would be a photo worthy of a full-page Simms ad or the highlight of a Yellow Dog Fly Fishing brochure. This is what I found.

Nailed it.
    Last edited by Clark; 01-16-2015 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Photo Issues

Thanks all for the replies and messages! I have booked Wil for two days and am going to kind of wing it from there. Definitely going to try some DIY in the mornings / evenings and explore the island. Thanks again, I will post a few pictures when I get back!

You will have a great time! Wil will show you some of the most beautiful flats only seen by boat. WHat I didnt know is that I could have brought my wife along for the scenery. ALthough she would have gotten bored.

Now me being a guy that fishes for trout my casting to bones was quite shitty. I am used to more of a soft dry fly presentation. NOt what you want for bones. YOu have to deliver the fly quick and accurate. Once the day was over and I was fishing the next morning solo I noticed all I had to do was speed up my haul hand. THis helped a bunch. As lame as it sounds I would practice casting to targets INTO the wind. Its windy in Belize, but its much needed cause it would be too hot if it wasnt.

Have fun! Take pics to share. IM jealous!

Thanks to everyone for the messages and responses! I had a great trip, maybe one of my favorite vacations ever. I fished with Wil Flack for two days. I learned a ton and also had shots at a lot of fish. It was my first saltwater trip and I felt like I had the "yips" whenever we would sight a nice fish. I didn't land any permit or tarpon, but did land a number of bonefish both with Wil and on my own. I did have a large school of permit swim right around me while snorkeling on the reef, which was pretty cool.

I was able to find some decent DIY locations by just exploring in my golf cart. In addition to bonefish, I also caught two other types of fish while wading the flats (see photos). I believe one is a horse-eye jack. Can someone tell me if that is correct and what the other one is?

I am already excited to head back next winter!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010002.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	10512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010005.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	10513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010023.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	10514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3050187.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	10518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3040169.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	10517  

more pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010055.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	10520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010040.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	10519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3040082.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	10521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3050207.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	10522  

Great posts CR,

Imagine, the second trip will be even better because of all you learned on the first one.

I wish everyone could see what you did.

Wading in shallow clear water and snorkeling in the tropics is so cool.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Looks like a fantastic trip! Next time you are planning a trip, checkout our website. We have a lot of good trip planning information for Belize. Here is a good example http://www.anglingreport.com/archive...ls.cfm?id=2667

We also have some great info on DIY Bonefishing for those interested. http://www.anglingreport.com/fishing...fish%20Fishing

Tight Lines!

Mike @ The Angling Report