Thread: Options near Monterey in May 2015

Default Options near Monterey in May 2015

What are the fly fishing options that time of year? I'm a rookie at saltwater fly fishing and I'm willing to hire a guide for my brother and I. Thanks for the advice.
    Greg

Default Monterey Bay Area....

In May, surf fishing is available for perch, croaker and possibly Stripers. As I understand, you could rent a skiff in the Capitola harbor for fishing nearby or bait fishing off one of the piers down there. Check out the first link for a video by Ken Hanley on reading the surf:

http://medialibrary.pacificextremes....ater.php?vid=4

The second link is to an inactive website that is full of very good info about fly fishing in Monterey Bay; including a link to aerial views of California beaches:

http://www.zenflyfishing.com/

Something I failed to mention earlier is a book by Ken Hanley that has a bunch of info about the what, where, when of surf fishing: Fly Fishing the Pacific Inshore. If you don't have it you can either buy one or check it out at the library.

This'll get you started. Maybe someone else will jump in with more info.

Good luck and be safe....
    Last edited by Darian; 01-10-2015 at 10:59 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I recommend you simply fish the surf while you are here, you do not need a guide. The website and book Darian mentioned are great resources. Waders, some sort of stripping basket, 6, 7 or 8 weight rod with at least an intermediate sinking line or head, 8, 10# or whatever short leader, size 6 clouser type of fly with red, orange, greenish colors will work.

The toughest part of fishing the surf is line management and that takes a bit of time to learn. Oh, and don't plan on fishing if the surf is up, better to look for swell forecast of at least 2-4 feet or under.

I am in Aptos just north of Monterey and could possibly meet you at a beach here to show you the drill. PM me if interested, maybe leave a note here if you do so I can check my inbox.

Darian,

Thanks. I've ordered a copy of the Hanley's book and I'll look into skiffs.

I will be safe. I've tried surf fishing twice and it's unsettling when the ebbing waves take the sand from under my feet. So I stay very close to the shoreline.
    Greg

tommylee,

Thanks for the details and your meet-up offer. I've left you a PM.
    Greg

Ok Greg, sent you an email, hopefully it did to go to your spam folder.

Hanley if you read this you can come too!