Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Tying Factory Offers?

I have seen the Kenya flies......c-r-a-p....
    Don't bother if you really fish.
    I get this come-on once or twice a month.
    Stay with your local shop, at least those flies are tied for the water you fish.............unless this factor doesn't appeal yet....
    And the money stays in our economy.....

Jim

Default Kenyan Flies....???

I'm not sure anyone is saying they'll stop supporting local shops by exploring this in this thread. I, for one, have been buying enough materials, flies and other stuff from Kiene's and other local fly shops for the last 4+ decades to meet my needs. I've, also, bought materials on the internet and flies while on trips to places like Belize when I arrived without the "right fly". What's the difference??? Certainly nothing wrong with exploring this for whatever reason. If the flies turn out to be "crap", as described, that's OK, too. Either way, it won't change my purchasing habits....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The more communication you have with these kinds of businesses on your computer allows them to get deeper into your personal history without you knowing it.

The next thing you know they'll be sending you " fly samples" laced with Ebola or anthrax from some terrorist cell. No I'm not paranoid, it's real world there and we need to protect our own.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Be sure to use the Nigerian bank account where you have the millions ?? kept.

Perhaps I should have been more diplomatic in my phrasing.....
    They are strange, "classic patterns", poorly tied on inferior hooks...by people who may never see a trout or stream.
    Flies really in need of miraculous intervention to catch wild fish........
    Perfect for the guy who is into presentation, not matching the hatch.....
    Darian, I suggest you explore them if you have the extra money to spend......then try'em and report..
    My take on them may be dramatically different from yours...Enjoy.

jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 01-29-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Default Kenyan Flies....

Jim,.... No need to be "....more diplomatic...." Nothing you wrote was offensive to me. Just trying to make the point that I probably shouldn't reject a product without giving it a chance. I have no intention of buying any of their flies without obtaining samples in advance as, like you, I've seen flies from several foreign countries that produce flies on inferior hooks/irons.

On the other hand, I've obtained some of the best hooks made at the time from some foreign sources and many of the fly tying products appearing in catalogues, today, are made in foreign countries. Just gotta be careful when making purchases....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

An update to this thread from me.

I decided not to purchase any merchandise from the company who contacted me out of the blue due to unclear answers to my questions.

After ignoring multiple emails for additional promotions from the original emailer ("Jennifer"), I have been bombarded with many additional offers from people(?) based in various developing companies selling flyfishing gear (mostly flies). hmmm! Guess I am on some kind of list now. Lesson learned!

Hope my adding them to Google's spam list will eliminate them someday.

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by k9mark View Post
    Scam! Do not become a victim!
    Anything from Kenya, Nigeria, et al Africa, are scams people. I can't tell you the hundreds upon hundreds of reports Ive taken down thru the years. It never ceases to amaze me how people fall for this no matter how many warnings Law Enforcement put out.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Default Update....

I have no financial or other interest in this and not sure if it changes any of the issues raised in this thread but in searching for info on the subject, I found a website to a fly producer in Kenya, on-line. A link to that site follows:

http://www.tyingfishingflies.com/

The name of the business (DBA) is Peter Fishing Flies Kenya and is located in Nairobi. For whatever it means, this business is licensed/registered with appropriate authorities to conduct business activities. I've seen some advertising for flies produced in Kenya (not sure if this is the same or not) by native peoples as a way to generate income. Apparently, it's a Kenyan government sponsored activity.

I've seen some very good flies produced in places like South Africa, so, not all flies produced in Africa are poor quality or their producers scamming. If you decide to try them, just be careful and research who you may be dealing with.

Author unknown