Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eel River Trip

Default Eel River Trip

I want to head out to the Eel River to try some fishing this year. Taking into consideration the rain and blow out, where should I go? Any suggestion of water I should focus on would be appreciated.

Fly choice as well. Thanks!

The entire systems is likely fishable from south fork down into the main stem. the main stem above the SF may still be a bit off - it runs dirtier than the S. the main stem below the SF runs a bit clearer than above th SF as it has the SF helping.

That being said - reports are pretty slow right now - even the boats and gear guys are doing pretty poorly so if you really need to catch a fish, this may not be a good time to head up there. But if you just really want to get on the river and catching a steelhead is secondary to the journey then by all means go

I was up there last weekend. Entire south fork was fishable, great indicator water. The main stem of the eel was still running high and brown. Should be ready to fish in the next week or so. Main stem of eel looks like swing territory only (what i prefer) i would imagine it would be very difficult to nymph a river thay size. Call Mike at Eureka fly. I'm always looking to carpool up there.

do not get discouraged with high water. While the main stem looked off, there was likely close to 18" of visibility and when it is big water just concentrate on fishing the edges - I have been on that river when steelhead were running up behind me in the flows going through the willows

Fished the S. Fork the last two days. The water looked great. Very few fishermen and no fish. Didn't see anybody doing anything.

I fished the south fork on Mon / Tues. The water was perfect and so was the weather.......if only the steelhead knew what they were missing. The guides are picking up a few fish in the south fork and doing better in the main stem. We were the only ones wade fishing........not a good sign.

probably best to wait for the next big storm and subsequent drop if you have to make a drive to get up here... not many fish around yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    do not get discouraged with high water. While the main stem looked off, there was likely close to 18" of visibility and when it is big water just concentrate on fishing the edges - I have been on that river when steelhead were running up behind me in the flows going through the willows
    I don't mind high water, or off color water, but together they can be a pain. I know fish will take the path of least resistance and move along the edges. But it can be hard to get them to eat what they cant see. I have had some of my better days swinging big flies in chocolate milk conditions, but I was also fishing runs & tail outs that I knew held fish. When I was up on the eel I did manage one hook up with a 3-5 lb fish, but the eat was on the hang down in some soft water, it was really soft and I didn't get a hook set. The fish was sitting in the seam of a tributary and the main river ( the trib was running extra clear). To me that meant that fish were not enjoying the brown water, and may not be moving. I think this will change when the water clears a tad more. If it starts to turn Green I would say game on!

Fished Tuesday through Wednesday as well. I didn't see many others, wade, boats or otherwise. Numbers have been pretty dismal along the entire North Coast.

February can be very good if everything is right.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........