Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SW Alaska lodge/rafting suggestions

I don't think the cost of food i.e. burgers or fillet is much of an issue to most remote lodges. The main cost is flying everything in (or barging in some cases so its the same cost for a 10 bottle of wine vs. a $50 bottle. One of the lodge owners I know told me he spends around $200,000 per year on diesel fuel for the generators, av gas, and boat gas, and much of that is getting it there. In remote Alaska the price of a gallon of gas now is from $7 to $10 depending on when they bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHEYE View Post
    I don't think the cost of food i.e. burgers or fillet is much of an issue to most remote lodges. The main cost is flying everything in (or barging in some cases so its the same cost for a 10 bottle of wine vs. a $50 bottle. One of the lodge owners I know told me he spends around $200,000 per year on diesel fuel for the generators, av gas, and boat gas, and much of that is getting it there. In remote Alaska the price of a gallon of gas now is from $7 to $10 depending on when they bought it.
    So true! If you believe that some remote alaskan outfitters can offer "cheaper" packages by skimping on the amenities then buyer beware!!! I know of many fishing horror stories that started out this way. I would be VERY selective in who I would put my $ and trust in. Easy to get burned up there (it happens quite often I'm afraid) and you're likely to be SOL because the state doesn't care (trust me).
    Last edited by Tfisher; 01-10-2015 at 12:04 AM.
    Carpe Piscis!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ><((((º>
    ><((((º> ><((((º>

Yes, that's true. $20 for a six-pack of beer in Dillingham. Oh, and a candy machine at the Dillingham airport with only one item in it, a bag of peanut M&Ms, and a tag below it that says "$10."
    It cost me $500 to ship all my camping gear and rafts and food from Anchorage to Iliamna. As I said, not a money-making deal. But I keep going back every year because it is so awesome.

I can fly to the lower 48 many times for less than it costs to fly from Anchorage to Illiamna. A 40 minute flight is around $500. Go over the baggage weight restrictions and it's charged by the pound.

$460 round trip from Anchorage to Iliamna and back. 70-pound weight limit, which is easy if all you have to bring is clothes and fishing gear, booze and sleeping bag and pad if you're doing a float trip.

anyone have any information on lodges/fishing lake creek, AK. I too am looking at going to alaska in August with my two boys. I am also considered a tent lodge of the Kenektoc River. any info would be much appricated.

Thanks

Scott K

Scott, both are popular destinations. I like to be around as few people as possible when I take clients on my AK float trips, so I haven't done either of those trips. However, from what I hear from those who have done the Kanektok, it is a wonderful fishery and one of the best places to go for the large "leopard" bows (along with the Goodnews River). It does get some pressure because it is so famous (many articles have been published about it), but it is close to 100 miles long, much longer than the rivers I float, so groups can spread out quite a bit. I'm sure it would be a great trip.

Well, as if the underscore part of my last post, I just picked up today's mail and American Angler magazine (Jan/Feb issue) has an article on the Kanektok.