Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of when you think of Patagonia?

I think that Patagonia waders can't compare to Simms G-waders.

I think that Patagonia celebrates eco-friendliness and sustainability and should not manufacture their products in countries that lack environmental laws.

I've not had issues with their waders though only year old. Love the fit and design. Just bought their boots.

I think the designs are top notch.

As a brand I think they're serious about environmentalism, leaders in fact.

I've worked in marketing for 20 years ( don't kill me) and think their brand is top notch, strong core values, innovative and cause driven.

In regards to fly fishing...

Good styling, more progressive compared to Sage or Simms, but still lots of room for improvement here though.

You can tell the brand is relatively "new" in fly fishing. Not a very deep product line yet. The quality/durability can be a little suspect still relative to the Patagonia standard set by other lines. In general Patagonia iterates a lot of their product/lines, and seems to even more so in fly fishing. This can be good or bad. Sometimes I feel like the customer is the beta tester when certain products/lines/functionality may be completely changed or dropped altogether.

I think the fit and sizing on wading gear needs work. It does not really follow the standard Patagonia fit on the other lines.

Of the major brands it is my favorite, but its not like we have tons of options out there like ski or climbing wear/gear for example.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraangler View Post
    In regards to fly fishing...
    I think the fit and sizing on wading gear needs work. It does not really follow the standard Patagonia fit on the other lines.
    And I say thank God for that! I started buying Patagonia waders about fifteen years ago because they made an XL Long that gave me plenty of room (6'6" tall). Never had a problem with them. About six or so years ago I swallowed the marketing pill and started wearing Simms. Being dumb and unnecessarily loyal by nature I went from G3's to G4's to G4z's. In every case the friggin' things were stiff, too short and oddly fitted in the boot. Climbing over logs or kneeling on the river was always an adventure as I waited for the crotch to rip due to excessive binding. (And then there's the short zipper in the G4z's that kinda defeats the purpose...) Blah!

Recently I rejoined Patagonia and bought the Rio Gallegos waders. Why oh why did I wait so long? They are lighter than Simms, fit MUCH better and my feet are warmer on the river with a single pair of socks (had to wear two bulky pair with Simms). Been through the blackberry bushes, climbed logs and slid down slopes -- no problems and just as tough as the other brand.

I believe in Patagonia. Their products, corporate values and service conform to what I look for in a company. So what if they don't make a jillion things you don't need for fly fishing like the other brand? Their boots (I've got the 2nd generation aluminum bar boots and they're great as well), layering products and waders are first cabin. And their value pricing is fairly reasonable as well.

OK, a little more info...

Specifically, I own the Rio Gallegos and Skeena waders and Rock Grip and Ultralight wading boots. The boots are pretty good, durability I would say average, not great. Stitching already coming undone on Rock Grips after 2yrs of mostly seasonal use. It should not be. Will probably use warranty.

I will say the wader booties fit and comfort is exceptional, better than anything else I've had. Particularly, the Merion grid lining on the Rio Gallegos is downright plush and brilliant. For me the Regular fit on the waders is a little too baggy and a little too short in length. I am a very average (slim, athletic) 6' 175lbs. The Long's are too long. Pocket configuration on the Skeena's is good, the Rio Gallegos needs a top down pocket added. I really don't understand why you would not put both the vertical and horizontal pockets on your flagship top of the line wader.

Also they were completely out of the Ultralight wading boot in Size 7 (for my GF) for like 3 months. It's a good problem to have, but who can't produce their flagship wading boots in one of the most popular sizes for 3 months?! That is a supply chain fail no matter how you look at it.

These could be viewed as small gripes but at $499 there should be absolutely zero gripes. They should be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by sisyphusmpn View Post
    And I say thank God for that! I started buying Patagonia waders about fifteen years ago because they made an XL Long that gave me plenty of room (6'6" tall). Never had a problem with them. About six or so years ago I swallowed the marketing pill and started wearing Simms. Being dumb and unnecessarily loyal by nature I went from G3's to G4's to G4z's. In every case the friggin' things were stiff, too short and oddly fitted in the boot. Climbing over logs or kneeling on the river was always an adventure as I waited for the crotch to rip due to excessive binding. (And then there's the short zipper in the G4z's that kinda defeats the purpose...) Blah!

Recently I rejoined Patagonia and bought the Rio Gallegos waders. Why oh why did I wait so long? They are lighter than Simms, fit MUCH better and my feet are warmer on the river with a single pair of socks (had to wear two bulky pair with Simms). Been through the blackberry bushes, climbed logs and slid down slopes -- no problems and just as tough as the other brand.

I believe in Patagonia. Their products, corporate values and service conform to what I look for in a company. So what if they don't make a jillion things you don't need for fly fishing like the other brand? Their boots (I've got the 2nd generation aluminum bar boots and they're great as well), layering products and waders are first cabin. And their value pricing is fairly reasonable as well.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

I think of a huge expanse of land covering the middle of Argentina, the southern Andes, all the way to Tierra del Fuego. I think of a wide variety of terrain from the fertile fields of the Pampas to the majestic Andean Alps, deep fiords enclosed by sheer granite cliffs, to the surreal wind swept plateaus of Tierra del Fuego. I think of skies so crystal clear and blue so deep that it hurts your eyes to look straight up to see the massive Andean condor soaring over head. I think of guachos and mate and some of the finest beef, mutton and wine in the world. I think of some of the best trout fishing in the world in some of the most scenic water imaginable. I think how much I'd like to spend more time exploring Patagonia. I don't think of fishing gear or boots or down jackets or other outdoor gear.

I have been very satisfied with their products. I actually was surprised when they gave me credit on a 13-year-old product that failed under extreme circumstances. REI recently went to a one-year return policy.
    I'm thrilled with their support in the fight against the proposed Pebble Mine project in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by catchsnaprelease View Post
    Quick question:
    When you think of Patagonia as a fly fishing brand, what comes to mind?
    How would you compare them with other brands like Orvis or Sage?

Thanks for the input!

DZ

Its what people from Marin wear when they go fly fishing.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Thanks all. The feedback is super helpful.
    Documenting time on the Truckee River and Pyramid Lake at:
    http://catchsnaprelease.com
    Instagram: @catchsnaprelease

I think Patagucci......

I'm a big fan of Orvis and Simms. Their stuff is expensive, but well thought out, and high quality. I know you didn't mention Simms, just thought I'd throw em in. Never really been a Sage guy. I like my rods a little softer.