Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of when you think of Patagonia?

Default What do you think of when you think of Patagonia?

Quick question:
    When you think of Patagonia as a fly fishing brand, what comes to mind?
    How would you compare them with other brands like Orvis or Sage?

Thanks for the input!

DZ
    Documenting time on the Truckee River and Pyramid Lake at:
    http://catchsnaprelease.com
    Instagram: @catchsnaprelease

I think of Yves Chouinard (founder?) and sustainability. I like their perspective.

Yvon Chouinard is a surfer and rock climber who built a business out of the back of his surf mobile. He likes to travel and do some fishing. Their products are well built and a good value for the money. I think Tim Boyle at Columbia and Yvon are very similar and both give back to the environmental causes that are important to them and the world. Rick Pope at TFO is another example of a great guy who has his priorities in the right place. Rick is a big supporter of Project Healing Waters, that supports wounded veterans. It is great to see succeccful companies that aren't of the rape and pillage mindset. Mems.
    Don Memmer

I Think Of How Terrible their products Are made. I also think about how they do not stand up to their warranty.

My waders leak terribly within 6 months of replacing them each time 4 times now. They said they will not warranty them again.

I also think of the really nice guy I met in 1983 when I was climbing in Yosemite. Too bad his company doesn't have his integrity.

I also think sonic pro waders from now on.
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

I am a diehard Patagonia fan-- of their apparel. I have had lots of great customer service and warranty replacements,,,,,

BUT their wading boots and waders are not of the quality of everything else they sell-- and not even in the same conversation as Sage or Orvis.

I sold Patagonia ski and climbing wear for years. great, durable stuff. We had very few issues so I don't have a lot of experience with the warranty department.
    Was not impressed with "Let My People Surf" and it soured me a little, as did Gary Erickson's tribute to himself/
    Clif Bar sales pitch. Have not watched Damnation as I'm currently dealing with a dam issue d=for my work and don' want to get all evangelical while trying to be objective.

I think of wader feet that fit great, best fit in the business.

I think Patagonia guide water waders have been bombproof for me! Along with having very warm feet in winter with the merino wool insulation in the neoprene stocking. The rock grip boots have held up fairly well.

Standup guy and company! Nothing but great service in my years of outdoor activity, there's always one rotten apple in the bunch!
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 01-03-2015 at 11:33 PM.

Quality products. They seem to lead the industry with innovations in both soft goods and hardware. I really like their new tractor boots!