Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12'6 6 or 7 Weight?

Default 12'6 6 or 7 Weight?

What is your opinion for fishing the American River? I am looking into getting a new (more than likely used) spey rod but am weighing the pros and cons between the two weights. I believe the 7 weight will allow me to fish heavier tips and in turn heavier flies. Also will probably be using a heavier line so could possibly cast a slight bit further?

I feel the 6 weight will suffice just fine but I am not sure if I need to cast anything heavier than what the 6 weight will offer in terms of fly size and depth.

I guess in summary what will be the biggest differences between the two rod weights mentioned.

A 6 has done me just fine for the American winter steel, tip wise and fly size no problem. There is a steal on speypages right now! Echo TR 12'6 6 wt. with Skagit head in killer condition $150

I saw that Mark. Might have to jump soon.

Get a 12 6 7wt. If u are using for winter steelhead and figure u will catch fish then the 7 wt will allow u to put the wood to the fish and use heavier tips one day we will have rain and water

I have had a number of fish on the American river in winter where I needed a 7wt.

That said I am using a 6126 currently it handles all at these flows

I sold my 7wt I intend to get a fast action 8 or 7 wt

PLUS With A 7 wt U Can Go After Salmon Hmmmm
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 12-22-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

For the American, a 6126 would the best all around rod (think halfpounders, stripers, shad and adult steelies). I've got a lot of rods and the two rods I used the most on the American are my 6126 and 6119 with 15 ft. sink tips. If you want to dredge with T-14 and T-17 get the 7 wt. I wouldn't mess with a salmon unless you have an 8 wt or bigger rod.

Your gut feeling is correct, go with the 7wt if you plan on using T-14.

I was told when I bought my spey rod that a 6wt will get the job done, but the 7wt is like the 1/2 ton pickup trucks of spey rods. I have a dually 7wt 13ft. Its a killer rod. Another thing that you should consider is where you will be fishing. I've fished my 7wt 13ft on the Deschutes, American and lower Trinity. The other great thing about a 7wt 13ft is it is a bit more forgiving for a beginner. If your D loop or anchor isn't perfect you can still get away with a decent cast, but remember its not the cast that catches fish, its presentation.

However whatever you get, make sure you get the right line. Best rod in the world wont load right with the wrong grain weight. Its good to stick with a name brand rod for this. Basically you cant go wrong with an rod listed on RIO's spey line recommendation page. Not that you have to get a Rio line, just don't buy an off-brand rod on ebay and guess at what line you should pair it up with. you'll waste time and money just to go back to step one.

I recently bought a 6wt switch witch will be my go to for smaller water.

either should function. But think the 6 would be more useful except for extreme conditions. An example the TR 12'6" 6 has a Skagit grain recommendation of around 480 grains - if you use the short skagits (20') that equates to 24 grains per foot which should turn over T14 relatively easily and unless you are using HEAVY flies you can likely use T11 most of the time which should fly!

7 wt salmon THIS FISH WAS A BEAST SIMPLY PUT A BEAST

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	10098
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 12-23-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM 2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	10099

7 wt yes it was a tough fight and jeff is right that 8 wt is way better but if you are broke then a 7 wt will cover so many options add a 5wt and you have the entire coast covered in the usa