Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12'6 6 or 7 Weight?

I doubt the American is the only place you'll end up using the rod. Think about where else, and for what. If you will do a lot of winter fishing, T-14, much time out on the coast, get the 7wt. Mostly summer-fall run steelhead, Trinity and Klamath, maybe crossover into trout, get the 6wt.

If there is any possibility of adding a second rod at some point, think about how the two will complement. Maybe a 7/8 for winter steelhead, a 5, or 4, for trout, half pounders, shad.

Also, you mentioned distance. Rod weight is about the last dial to touch there. Rod length, maybe, but well after training & practice. Line selection probably after those two.
    Last edited by troutless; 12-23-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks for all the responses. I currently have a 6 weight switch rod so will probably lean towards the heavier 7 weight spey. I believe this will give me the widest basis in rod selection.

Just to add some confusion to the mix, I traded my 6126 this year and picked up a new starter in the rotation, a Sage One 6110 switch. Haven't seen anything but benefits since.

This is now my go to rod for Nor Cal, and I am putting my Sage One 7136 into the bullpen as my closer in high water and away from the Nor Cal valley rivers.

My spot reliever for small rivers, such as the Yuba and Feather, is a ZAxis 5110. Great for swing, occasional nymphing. Even swinging a soft hackle can be done with the right line choices.

Grant Fraser

"Steelhead fishing with the fly is not about hooking lots of fish; it's all about the take and the show. Everything else is just icing on the cake." - Anon.