Thread: Yuba Lately

Default Yuba Lately

After my steelhead trip North was rained away was wondering if the Yuba was fishable. I have never been there despite being from the Colusa area but would like to get out while I am on break from school. Also have my uncle from Chicago here only get to fish with him once or twice a year. If anyone has been there lately or knows what sort of flows I should be looking for it may save me the trek.

Also any tip on swinging such as flies, depth, or areas I should look at longer than the others would be greatly appreciated. Think he will be using the indicator but want to keep working on my spey casting.

Hayden
    Last edited by aggie9; 12-22-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie9 View Post
    After my steelhead trip North was rained away was wondering if the Yuba was fishable. I have never been there despite being from the Colusa area but would like to get out while I am on break from school. Also have my uncle from Chicago here only get to fish with him once or twice a year. If anyone has been there lately or knows what sort of flows I should be looking for it may save me the trek.

Also any tip on swinging such as flies, depth, or areas I should look at longer than the others would be greatly appreciated. Think he will be using the indicator but want to keep working on my spey casting.

Hayden
    Flows look good right now but not sure about clarity. I was there Dec 7th last, same flows 650 cfs and good clarity. Swang up three with a olive zonker. Also hooking into a very fresh king 20 plus played with him a little definitly think i could of landed him but was pretty sure he was hooked by accident so i broke him off to do his business. That last storm was pretty big but i think its fishable. Anyone been after the last storm?
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

It is still too murky for good fishing. I misjudged what I thought the clarity would be this morning. From the drop of flows from Deer Creek, I expected it to pop into shape yesterday, boy was I wrong. Clarity is about 18". I did get 2 nice fish in the 3 hours that I fished, but I chalked that up to luck. For the most part you are wasting your time unless you work the very edges. It was no clearer farther downstream either.

My guess is that it needs about 3 more dry days for reasonable clarity.

Thanks for the responses. I probably wont get up there till the 26th or later, so with little rain in the forecast it may come into shape nicely by that point. If nothing else it will allow me to practice my spey.

I can also vouch for yubaman. I managed to get a hook up but lost it. Clarity was pretty bad so you'd be pushing your luck. There were quite a lot of people fishing above the bridge about 5-6 cars so I made a U-turn to fish below where there was less pressure.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

I got on the water a little after 7:00 looking for stripers. Surprisingly it was clear with sun by 7:30. But not for long. I had to put my sun glasses on for a while but when the fog move in they steamed up. As for water clarity. I thought it was pretty good down low in town.

As for fish, I just about stepped on something big and scared the hell out of me as it spooked.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

As the old saying goes… You don't know if you don't go. The fish are biting big and bright flies. Hooked five and landed three in a couple of hours. A normal day out there… Water is about the color of a dark soy milk as one once called it. Fish the shallow riffles... Yubaman yes I will buy you a few beers and a plate of hot wings at the hot spot.