Thread: fly reel question

Default fly reel question

Here is the dilemma.....I'm looking to get an 8wt reel. I have narrowed it to three:
    Lamson litespeed
    Sage 4200
    Ross Animus (new)
    Any suggestions or comments about these reels?? It will be paired with a Redington Vapen 8wt.
    Thanks

I love my Lamson litespeed and use it in the salt a lot. I have not had a single issue with it.

No word on the other reels.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

i have many lamson litespeeds

I use my 3.5 on my 8 wt

i love them and have never had an issue
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

I have 2 Lamson reels and love them. They are a great reel for the price and I love the drag system and how easy it is to adjust.

Recently bought the Velocity Hard Alox II in a 3.5 size for a 10" 7wt steelhead rod. This model has just been discontinued, so there are lots of great deals right now, especially on eBay. In addition, there are several outlets selling Lamson "factory seconds". I bought an extra spool that is a "second" and I had to look hard to find the 1/4" swirl in the finish.

Lamson offers some spools with "X" designation that fit on the same reel frame as the regular spools. For example: the Velocity Hard Alox II 3.5X holds 50 yards more backing than the 3.5 spool. Not sure if they offer the extra capacity on other models.