Thread: Chinook Trip/Destination

Default Chinook Trip/Destination

Hello

I was hoping someone could help me out and recommend some Chinook trips. I am wanting to go chase some Kings with the fly rod. I have researched the Skeena, the Naknek, the Sandy River in Alaska, and of course the Kenia River. I can't decide on which river/destination will be best for chasing Chinook salmon.

Does anyone have any recommendations, personal experience targeting king salmon on these rivers, or have any other suggestions. The only thing i'm not looking for is Great Lake fish. Sorry I just want to chase silver fresh from the ocean fish.

I am looking for a guided trip/adventure so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Casey

I had the same itch this past summer and decided on the Skeena. There are probably a little better Chinook rivers in Alaska (but the Skeena is hardly a second choice). When I factored in the extra travel time and a lot more cost for Alaska, the Skeena was an easy decision. It’s custom made for 2 handed rods. I booked 4 days at the Bulkley Basecamp with Derek Botchford and had a great time. I’d definitely recommend it. Hooking in to a big ol' Chinook with an attitude problem will not soon be forgotten!!

I’m sure any trip will turn out great with a little preparation and good fishermen to fish with.

Enjoy
    Steve

I wouldn't recommend any of those particular waters for a focused king trip. I can't speak for all, since I haven't personally been to the Skeena or Sandy. Note however that Alaska has for the past several years been on a downward cycle for kings. It's gotten to the point where they've consistently closed the fisheries you've mentioned. Neither the kenai nor the naknek are prolific king rivers suitable for the fly angler. Some of the smaller Aleutians rivers and nushagak drainages would hold better prospects for kings. But that comes with a significant price tag. (Assuming they meet escapement).
    Carpe Piscis!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ><((((º>
    ><((((º> ><((((º>

I haven't fished these rivers before, but the small coastal rivers in Southern Oregon like the Elk and the Sixes sport a good flyfishing fishery at their mouths for chinook.

Kind of a combat zone from what I hear, but lots cheaper than going further North. If you have a driftboat, or get a good guide, there is nice water upriver that isn't as busy, especially if you fish during the work week.

Good luck,

Default pics

I don't know this guide, but he seems to get his clients into the big nooks.

Maybe he is on this forum?

Best,

http://www.garylewisguideservice.com...orts_frame.htm

I spent two seasons working on the naknek. I would not reccomend it as a king destination. If you want to catch kings go to hoodoo lodge on the Aleutian peninsula.

No more than 10 years ago and if you had access be it by jetsled or club/private land you needed to go no further than lower Yuba River below DaGuerre. My largest King was 30 lbs. back in 1999 on a 10 weight single hand. You'd see a few guys in sleds/jets using gear but most stayed down in Feather. I only saw one other guy try for Kings from shore with a Fly in the area for 10 years. Lower Gold Fields had to myself some days. Closed for last 6 years and probably forever. I sure miss going for Kings on the Yuba. Still a very special fishery. If you're after something exotic far as destinations go try Chile. Some of the rivers are starting to get some nice sized Chinooks and it's a relatively undiscovered fishery you could try along with some great Trout Fishing. Not likely to have much company either! Other Fishery that is close and not that well known is the McKenzie River in OR. I used to get a few Springers on spoons when in College. I would hear about guys using "Two Handers" for Kings at The Caddis Fly Shop. Chris Daughters was "THE" man in the early mid 90's up there. Not sure if that fishery is still viable as it was almost all Hatchery fish headed to the pond above Deerhorn.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

i think the hoodoo lodge is where i'm headed. It appears it will give me the fishing, adventure and trip of a lifetime that i am looking for. It is kind of expensive but I think at the end of the day will give me memories that far exceed my expectations.

I would recommend the Kanectoc River in Alaska. Dave Duncan and Sons have run a fly fishing king salmon river camp there for years. The best fly fishermen, including Lefty Kreah and Jim Teeney were regulars there. Check it out
    Mike

Feather river
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!