Thread: Steelhead Spey Guide Recs

Default Steelhead Spey Guide Recs

Was looking for some opinions on steelhead spey guys located in the Northern California Area. I have frequented several website and looked at different guides but wanted to hear some first hand experiences.

As finals wind down and winter break moves quickly upon me I was hoping to try to get out on the water in the coming weeks. I am still very new to spey casting and have thus far been self taught so was hoping to find an easy going guide that could teach me more about casting and fishing with the spey rod. Hooking into a fish would be a great bonus obviously. I would like to stay around the American River (as that is my home water and would enjoy learning more about the fishery) but understand that the fish may not have the numbers that the Trinity or similar places have. Knowing that I am open to a little travel.

Any thoughts on guides or areas/rivers to look into would be appreciated either here or PM.

Thanks, Hayden

Jason Hartwick - though not sure how much he fishes the American

http://steelheadonthespey.wordpress.com/

Hayden, call Andy at the shop if you want to fish the A.
    Jeff Putnam for lessons
    Taylor Wells for guiding on the American ,Yuba & Klamath
    Jason Hartwick for up north guiding
    Rich Zellman for up north guiding

I would recommend Rich Zellman : http://www.steelheadwater.com/#!=

Rich is an outstanding guide in terms of his knowledge, skill and dedication for hooking Steelhead on a Spey rod.

Hayden,
    Sent you a PM.
    Best,
    Larry S

Brian Clemens 530 354 3740
    http://www.norcalflyguides.com
    Or

Andy g @kienew

Both exceptional Both will put u into fish and teach u
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 12-14-2014 at 03:34 PM.
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

John Fochetti is one of the best around, especially if you're up on the Trinity. He accelerated my learning curve by a mile, and just has a personality that you enjoy being around for the day. Probably one of the fishiest guys I've ever met. 916-337-8598 foesweasel2001@yahoo.com

Oh, and there was that one time he was guiding me on the Trinity and I stuck this buck on the swing in the middle of a sunny fall afternoon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trinity1.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	10078

Thanks for all the feedback. Because of the late notice a lot of guys are understandably booked up. Although I have found several openings. Anyone have any experience with the following:

Jon Harrison at Five Rivers Outfitters
    Trinity Fly Shop guides

Hayden,
    Have stopped in at the Lewiston shop several times and have found friendly folks and a great shop dog.
    My understanding is that Herb Burton isn't the guy you want if you are going to indie fish.
    You'll be swinging flies with a guide that knows the river as well as anyone. Can't ask for more, eh?
    Best,
    Larry S

Just saw this post.... any of the guides at the Trinity Fly Shop know the swinging game on the Trinity as that is mostly all they do. Not sure about Jon Harrison never come in contact with him. I spend some time in Dec - Feb guiding swung fly fishing on the Yuba (off color water usually and lots of smolt and alvins around) and then some of the best swing fishing in valley is in March - April for the spring steelhead on the Feather. Good time to get into the spey/switch game. Lots of fishing ahead.