Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flows on the Lower American are dropping?

I've a lot more faith in Mother Nature than in Ole Man Brown...

On the local level, if you look back at storage history... Folsom Lake optimally holds around 400,000-480,000 AF this time of year. It is currently at 325,000 AF the last storm brought it up from 280,000 AF.

If this next storm is wetter than the last and all indications are that it will be... then we should see Folsom go up to at least 380,000 AF.

A couple additional, smaller events and we'll be approaching the low end of the traditionally-observed level for December in a non-drought year.

Without getting all DR. Science about it... the fact that we have gotten storms EARLIER in the winter is absolutely HUGE! especially in the light of the fact that all storms from here on out will produce snow and it is snow pack rather than rain that comprises the greatest amount of water accumulation in our reservoirs

The added, typical rains in March coupled with the melted snow runoff in the summer months should have Folsom back up to snuff in 2015.

My biggest fear is that the politicians and corporate water brokers will use their Prop 1 and 2 bill leverage to do what they want, make up for lost time (water) and take more than acceptable quotas and put us right back in the same boat the following year.
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 12-09-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    I've a lot more faith in Mother Nature than in Ole Man Brown...

On the local level, if you look back at storage history... Folsom Lake optimally holds around 400,000-480,000 AF this time of year. It is currently at 325,000 AF the last storm brought it up from 280,000 AF.

If this next storm is wetter than the last and all indications are that it will be... then we should see Folsom go up to at least 380,000 AF.

A couple additional, smaller events and we'll be approaching the low end of the traditionally-observed level for December in a non-drought year.

Without getting all DR. Science about it... the fact that we have gotten storms EARLIER in the winter is absolutely HUGE! especially in the light of the fact that all storms from here on out will produce snow and it is snow pack rather than rain that comprises the greatest amount of water accumulation in our reservoirs

The added, typical rains in March coupled with the melted snow runoff in the summer months should have Folsom back up to snuff in 2015.

My biggest fear is that the politicians and corporate water brokers will use their Prop 1 and 2 bill leverage to do what they want, make up for lost time (water) and take more than acceptable quotas and put us right back in the same boat the following year.

There needs to be a bill that take power away form this corrupt gubermint!!!! I dont care who and what freaking party it is. In my eyes now and opinion they are sucking the people dry of everything!

Either way I really hope your right about the rains and snow Mark
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    There needs to be a bill that take power away form this corrupt gubermint!!!! I dont care who and what freaking party it is. In my eyes now and opinion they are sucking the people dry of everything!

Either way I really hope your right about the rains and snow Mark
    Agreed, we are being sucked dry!
    I also have a lot of faith in Mother Nature. I think we are due.

There is a lot more working against us in California than Mother Nature....

One problem with this storm is that the Sierra won't get the typical orographic lift that usually gives it several times more precip than the valley. The reason is that the winds will be coming from the S/SE instead of SW -- the moisture won't be riding up the mountains and getting squeezed out, but rather down them (at least in the Tahoe area). The exception is in the Shasta area, where the winds will be going uphill (at least, this is what I gathered from following the recent discussions here and piecing things together: http://forecast.weather.gov/product....n=1&glossary=1 ). You can see a precip forecast map here if you go to the Forecast Precipitation (QPF) section on the right (you can see that Sacramento's f/c is about the same as Blue Canyon): http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/google.php?type=precip

AccuWeather has another 2.3" for Sacramento in December (after this storm), then, as of today, they also added about 5.5" of rain late in January (vs. <1" on yesterday's run): http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sac...015&view=table One can only hope.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    One problem with this storm is that the Sierra won't get the typical orographic lift that usually gives it several times more precip than the valley. The reason is that the winds will be coming from the S/SE instead of SW -- the moisture won't be riding up the mountains and getting squeezed out, but rather down them (at least in the Tahoe area). The exception is in the Shasta area, where the winds will be going uphill (at least, this is what I gathered from following the recent discussions here and piecing things together: http://forecast.weather.gov/product....n=1&glossary=1 ). You can see a precip forecast map here if you go to the Forecast Precipitation (QPF) section on the right (you can see that Sacramento's f/c is about the same as Blue Canyon): http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/google.php?type=precip

AccuWeather has another 2.3" for Sacramento in December (after this storm), then, as of today, they also added about 5.5" of rain late in January (vs. <1" on yesterday's run): http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sac...015&view=table One can only hope.
    Good info, thanks~