Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coastal stream/river fishing info

What Jason said!
    Best to all for the Holidays!
    Larry S

Because I had a fly shop I got to go with really good fly fishers and top guides to places they knew well. At times I had some of the best fishing of my life and learn a lot too. Most would benefit from going with a guide, especially if they would listen to them.

Ego does play a roll in what people say here too.

I would try to get out with Jason Hartwick if you want to catch a winter Steelhead on a fly. He is probably up near Eureka this winter guiding the rivers up there when they are in shape.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks again for all of the info and sorry to belabor this...there are guides for the noyo, Gualala, Garcia, and Navarro? I can't find anything.
    John

Tony you should write a book or article about your 2 year experience. I'd be fascinated to hear about it. Wondering if I can suggest that to my wife but tbh I have no chance!

Cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Thanks again for all of the info and sorry to belabor this...there are guides for the noyo, Gualala, Garcia, and Navarro? I can't find anything.
    John
    FYI - in fishing webspeak - when someone says on the internet to "hire a guide", it means either the poster doesn't know anything about the subject, or if they do, they aren't going to tell you. This is especially true of steelheading; the specifics aren't talked about much on the internet, until at least 4 weeks after the fish are caught.

I know that doesn't help you much, but this may:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/current/?type=flow

Cool link
    Thanks!

John, contact Jon at Rivers edge guide service, I think it is www.riversedgeguide.com. Jon has given me excellent info before on the eel and the Mattole. If you google Jon Miretich it should also put you to his web site.

John,
    Looking at -
    http://www.flyfishingguidedirectory.com/California.html

It lists a PW Fly Fishing & Guide Service; link is closed, but PW still has a
    Facebook up and running. Based in Rancho Cordova, which is a long haul.

The old stand-by shops in the Russian River area have gone belly-up.
    King's and Western Sport.
    I'm still thinking Darian's advice coupled with the Streamtime maps - (Gualala/Garcia) (Mattole/Navarro) (Russian.)
    Some of these areas might be affected by the MLPA's.
    Best,
    Larry S

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    John
    Out of curiosity....how much would you be willing to pay for a walk in trip? I'll point out that there isnt a high probability of client sucess in those areas. And basically once you show soneone where to walk they often dont fish with you as a guide again. I think thats why you dont find many guides around there. It's not the best business model.

Thats one of the reason more Kudos go to Hartwick. He is doing it as his passion. No incorporated meglomaniac guiding operation. Although where he fishes he can float if needed....I hear fishing with him is the real deal. You wont be staring at a bobber in front of the boat all day while some guy convinces you that you can flyfish.
    Last edited by Walter; 12-18-2014 at 10:31 AM.

You wont be staring at a bobber in front of the boat all day while some guy convinces you that you can flyfish.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that Walter!

To put it simply you gotta put your time in. There aren't many shortcuts in the area you want to fish. Timing and a lotta luck is all you're going to have for the years starting.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare