Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coastal stream/river fishing info

Thanks guys.
    Catching isn't a super high priority, but I'd like to be able to find out 1, where I can fish, and 2 when the sand bars open. That info even seems tough to come by. I live in Truckee, so won't be able to get down there often. But I do miss the coastal fishing living in Truckee. So it is more of an "experience thing" than a "catching thing". That said. I'd like to not trespass, and at least fish when there is a possibility of fish being in the systems.
    Thanks for all the info here everyone.

Post Info Access....??

John,.... Sounds like you already have some experience over at the coast. That should give you some idea of when the bar at the mouth of rivers/streams over there will likely be open. In general, the bar on many of the smaller rivers and streams will open after the first heavy rains of the season but they may only be open for relatively short periods of time. For example, the mouth of the Gualala River will open after a heavy rain but usually will close within a day or two afterward due to high wave action, post storm. The Garcia River always seemed to be open, to me, due to the mouth of the river on the north side of high, south bank. There, the waves seemed to keep it open, longer. Rivers like the Russian have dams on them so the mouth will open at times when water is released from the dams but will close very quickly and, of course, the Russian will easily flood remaining out of action for lengthy periods.

When raining, the lower stretches off larger rivers tend to stay clear longer (until the muddy run-off reaches those sections). Once muddy, large rivers stay that way longer. Smaller rivers/streams tend to become muddy and clear up quicker. If you're fishing estuaries, tidal influence should be added to the equation, as well.

in an earlier post, LarryS pointed out the maps you can use for access points. Local community maps sometimes have access points for the rivers in their areas. I can't give you much on where to fish except to offer two pieces of advice. Read the CA DFW regs and beware of fishing in MLPA's over there.

Good luck....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

John,
    Near the top of the page, click on "ARTICLES." Bill K has a neat story about fishing the Gualala back in the '70s.
    I had a chance to fish the Ten Mile River several times in the '70s. Had to get a pass from the timber co office in Ft
    Bragg and check in at a farm house at a gate. Never hooked a fish; still, enjoyed the setting. Much different, as I
    remember it, from other coastal streams..
    Hope you have some success in finding open, fishy waters.
    Best,
    Larry S

To hell with hiring a guide for the north coast. There aren't enough good ones out there, considering how much good water there is and how quickly the conditions change. If you steelhead fish at all, and understand what holding water and resting water looks like, then you've got as good a shot as anyone.

Fish the SF Eel and fish it hard, there are always fish in just about every run. Fish it hard, slow and with some brighter colored flies. Orange/Pink is a great combo.

The Smith is money, but an entirely different animal. Spend a week there and I guarantee you will not land a fish. Stay another week and you have better odds. Honestly. Lots of bait boats and bad attitudes seriously contrast the beauty.

The Mattole is just as bad, if not worse, but not that awe inspiring. It's as if everyone is so pissed off that they spent 90 minutes driving there from any direction and they're furious that everyone else made it too.

Stick to the SF Eel. Money in the bank and a great run around every corner.
    Last edited by James C; 12-26-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James C View Post

Fish the SF Eel and fish it hard, there are always fish in just about every run. Fish it hard, slow and with some brighter colored flies. Orange/Pink is a great combo.
    The Smith is money, but an entirely different animal. Spend a week there and I guarantee you will not land a fish. Stay another week and you have better odds. Honestly. Lots of bait boats and bad attitudes seriously contrast the beauty.

The Mattole is just as bad, if not worse, but not that awe inspiring. It's as if everyone is so pissed off that they spent 90 minutes driving there from any direction and they're furious that everyone else made it too.

Stick to the SF Eel. Money in the bank and a great run around every corner.
    Add the Van Duzen to this list

And the Eel its self
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Looks like the pot calling the kettle black to me.
    Same, same, same

Some folks do get benefit from hiring a guide, good for you if you don't feel the need; but give it a rest about others recommending one. For someone without a lot of time, and a flexible schedule, and a lot of gas money it could take a very very long time to figure a few things out. In those cases a good guide could make a lot of sense. Nothing wrong with that at all
    JB
    Put time in, learn to fish. Spend money learn little. Easy to spend then work at improvement. Little value in guide hooked fish. Read book. You spend funny!