Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading up to the Trinity Sun-Tuesday

Default Heading up to the Trinity Sun-Tuesday

I am heading up to the trinity this Sunday and leaving on Tuesday afternoon. What flies are working right now. I will of course stop by the Fly Shop in Redding. I will also be brining my 6 wt and use my 8wt as a back up. Is there anything I should know besides it is probably going to be cold.

I should also mention I will be wading and not drift boating.

This is the first time I will be steel head fishing.

At least the lower river is supposed to get hammered by rain so may want to check weather or might be restricted to the upper river

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/graphicalRVF.php?id=HOOC1#

Default Trinity River....

You might want to stop in and check with the Trinity Fly Shop in Lewiston. On-line at:

www.trinityflyshop.com/‎

Good luck....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I fished with my son Sunday 11/16 in the Junction City area. Saw several fish rolling but no fish on. 2 passing boats reported catching a few higher up the river. They were using nymph/indicators, pattern unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    You might want to stop in and check with the Trinity Fly Shop in Lewiston. On-line at:

www.trinityflyshop.com/‎

Good luck....
    This ^

Herb is a great guy and really knows that river well. Can't even begin to give you the level of info over the internet that you would get in a half hour (or more...) chat with him. They also have a good guide service as well if you're interested in that.
    Good luck, always need as much as you can get steelheading
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I'll be up there with a guide starting Saturday for 4 days. Rain not as bad as first thought. Shouldn't be a problem. Get a guide if you can afford one. I fish it a lot. Regarding flies, I nymph with a Psyco Prince on top with a Micro May dropper. Small #18 micro may catches big fish. Hard to believe but true.

Default Lower trinity

I was up there last weekend and caught a few halfpounders. Mostly in the willow creek
    Area. Here are some patterns I used. The blue and orange probably look familiar to some.
    And , "yes they do work"![ATTACH=CONFIG]9965

Good pic of swinging flies for the Trinity. Hiltons, assassins and herniators you can't go wrong with.

swinging use somthing weighted the top water bite has slowed................if you will be using an indicator small red and blue CJ can be good.

If you are fishing the upper river, I would stop in Lewiston at the Trinity Fly Shop: http://www.trinityflyshop.com/

Those guys are great and have all the flies you need and info. If you are swinging, they have some great flies for that river and most of them like to catch steelhead on the swing. Check out "Straight from the Fly Bench" on their site. My favorite is "The Simulator" which seems to catch larger fish in my opinion and others I've spoken too.Attachment 9970