Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benicia Stripers and More....

Default Benicia Stripers and More....

While visiting Kiene's recently, Andy mentioned that someone had called in to report that he was walking the bank at Benicia and casting Pole Dancers at first light for Stripers. If you've ever been to Benicia, you know that there's quite a bit of shoreline in that area but most of the shoreline fishing takes place at the foot of First Street where there's a break wall dividing the main channel and a lagoon. Every year during Salmon season people line up shoulder to shoulder, casting spinners/spoons/lures for Salmon/Stripers. They catch quite a few fish. That activity tends to become very slow at the end of October.

Now, I've never seen anyone fly fishing over there and if you ask the locals about it, they tend to look at you like you might need to be confined. So, with all that in mind, I drove over to check out the whether the report was fairly accurate.

First stop, the local bait shop which proved to be a great source of info about where fly fishing was done in that area. Next stop, the break wall. There were only 3 guys casting spinners on it this AM. Each had caught at least one Striper, while one guy caught a Salmon and one Striper. All were 8 to 10 pounds. Then, walked the shoreline from the end of First Street, east to the channel mouth at the marina. Nobody fishing there but it looks to be great habitat for Stripers. Careful wading is required as the bottom is sandy/shallow for a short distance where the bottom drops off fast. Old pilings and current seams are within casting distance during tide changes. Public access in this area from First Street to the marina channel.

Access to the bay from there is limited to parks and signed, public accesses as this is mainly private property. Several good shoreline spots are available from those accesses, tho. Each had fisherman there who had caught one or more Stripers. The shoreline is either rocky or sandy in that area. However, if wading you have to be careful to avoid getting out into the mud flat bottom where a guy could get stuck.

There's an SRA over there where a tiny inlet stream enters the bay. The locals tell me that many years ago, people used to cast flies in that area for Silvers (no longer there). Flounder season should start shortly. If you like to eat flounder, Benicia shoreline should be a great place to stock up.

So, after checking it out, I'm thinking I might giving fly fishing for Stripers a try over there when the tides are right.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian...When I was young living in Vallejo my Dad used to take us over there to Fish...What I remember most about Benicia was my mother closing the door of the 51 Chevy on my thumb and then locking the door. When she unlocked and opened the door I watched My thumb turn black like a thermometer... I hope you have more fun there than I did....

I used to fish stripers a little farther west at Dillon Point. Plugging or swimbaits were the ticket then unless I brought the kids, then it was cut bait, sardines and pile worms. We used to catch lots of starry flounder, even remember catching steelhead on pile worms there.
    Boy, this is going back a ways guys, Tony
    Last edited by Tony Buzolich; 11-19-2014 at 08:19 AM.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Exclamation Throbbing Thumb....!!!

WOW!!! Frank, I feel your pain.... I've been over there several times in years past but not to fish. The town has changed some. Seems that most of the businesses on First Street are now real estate offices. Many storefronts are vacant.

Tony,.... Good memories for sure. Pluggin' is a lot like casting Pole Dancers. When the wind makes that impossible, I plan on switching to the Flounder fishing.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Darian

It can be good there and where I've done good with a fly is near the state park, towards the bridge. There is a small fly crew (3-4guys)there this time of year. Always right at the turn of the tide, until it's like a river. You should go there soon!

It can be killer in Benicia, with a fly!

Good luck
    James

Thumbs up Benicia...

Thanks for the info, James. Makes sense to fly fish from that area. Are these fly guy fishing from boats or wading?? Either way, I'll have to give it a try.

While I was there, the wind was strong/offshore direction. With the wind coming from the east, the coves were all calm. If it changed to blow in from the west, almost all of the coves face into it making them difficult to fish with a fly. The SRA is relatively sheltered from it.

Maybe the fly guys over there don't want many people to know they're out there or the locals didn't mention it as they didn't want to encourage people crowding their fishing spots.

Author unknown

Hey Darin

Its all wading. I didn't have a boat yet when I fished that zone, now I got a little lazy. But I am always dying get in the surf . The other fly guys are there alot, and they were always cool to me. but i was always solo.It's really bad on NW winds. Noes the time before they all boogie back up to the delta.

James

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

They've caught stripers right around the Benicia Yacht Club marina.

That was a cool post for anglers who don't have access to a boat, giving such good directions and info. Or even anglers who just want to wade rather than pack up the boat and everything.

I wrote a bunch about wading for stripers but after a response I realized I shouldn't put this stuff up and encourage someone to wade in dangerous water. So I took that down. Didn't realize how shifty sand bars can be, sounds like that stuff can get real dangerous quick. I guess theres a reason why most stick to a boat for stripers.
    Last edited by Ryan; 11-20-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Concerns for safety
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/

Yeah, but the reward is killer!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015 (3).jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	9979