Thread: Prescription Sunglasses: Advice?

Default Prescription Sunglasses: Advice?

After a few redos, I enjoyed my prescription copper-lensed Loschas from Smith for several years. Fairly sharp vision, large eye coverage, and thin temples that I prefer -- trading peripheral vision for side protection.

This fall I got mugged on the Trinity when I wandered into some fast bank water -- the kind my mother warned me about. When I recovered, I realized too late that a gang of willows and blackberries had stolen my sunglasses. The thugs.

Now I'm on the hunt for a new pair of fishing sunglasses. Smith won't sell me the same pair direct for some reason, even though I hear their ChromaPop lenses are fantastic. I'm tempted to try to get a pair of bifocals, so I don't have to switch glasses each time I re-rig -- I suspect the fear of out-of-focus boots is exaggerated.

Do you have a pair of single-vision or bifocal prescription sunglasses you love for fishing? I'd sure appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks,

__Roy
    Last edited by roywest; 11-16-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Hi Roy,

This summer I picked up a pair of Costa glasses with 580g amber lenses. They're great during the day, but a little dark for fishing at dusk. I wish I would have gone with the lighter "sunrise" tint, as I do most of my summer fishing in the evenings. Except for low light conditions they work exceptionally well--far better than my old Smiths.

Hope that helps,

MF

Check out HaberVision at www.habervision.com. I don't know the exact cost of prescriptions or exactly what is offered, but my friends who are using them really like the quality, and the cost is less then the big brands. I use non-prescriptions. Use affinity code FISHEYE.

I use high-impact plastic, light amber progressive lens (polarized, UV coated) in a lightweight, titanium Autoflex eye glass frame. Not complete wrap around, but wide enough and deep enough to provide good sight coverage and good sun protection. Plus everything is in focus with the progressive lens, so no fear your boots are out of focus.

The light amber is great for seeing even smallest flies on the water, but bad for seeing a white golf ball against a gray sky.
    BUT- I still need some extra magnifier glasses to deal with size 20 and smaller.

Be sure to try on some frames till you get a good head fit.

I have Action Optic/ Smiths
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Been using Maui Jims for years. All of my sunglasses are prescription and polarized..My eye doctor suggested them and said he thought they were the best. I used the thinner frames at first, but the frame was changed because of the prescription lenses. They could not stand up to my abuse. Switched to a beefier frame and never looked back. I have both an amber tint and blue. The amber is much better for all around fishing. I have the MJ261 Surf Rider as my new pair and love them.

Hello Roy,
    I am the Norther California Costa sunglass Pro as well as a guide on the Delta and rivers targeting striped bass 10 months of the year. Costa sunglasses are THE premier fishing eye wear. The lenses are hand ground in the United States, are 100% polarized, 20%thinner and 22% lighter than the competition. In addition to blocking yellow light at 580nm, Costa 580 lenses reduce high-energy blue light which cuts haze, producing greater visual clarity and sharpness. There are 65 frame styles to choose from with 7 lens options. They now feature IN-House prescriptions and depending on your correction, 85% of their styles are able to be scripted. Best of all they are available at Kiene's Fly Shop. As far as lens choices:
    If you are looking THROUGH the water (Bonefish-Tarpon-Trout-Steelhead) in bright conditions I would recommend Green Mirror/Amber
    base. These have 10% light transmission.
    If your looking ON the water (Trolling-Lake or Blue water stuff) in bright conditions then Blue Mirror/Grey base is what you want. These have 10% light transmission also.
    If you are looking for a great All Around lens then the Silver Mirror/Copper base is the ticket. With 12% light transmission they will be able to be used earlier and later in the day as well as in and out of shady situations.

If you have any question, please feel to contact me any time. My job is to help you with anything related to Costa sunglasses.
    Hope this has been helpful. And I am confident that once you try a pair of Costas you will be satisfied and understand why more fishing professionals wear Costas than any other brand.
    Thanks

Capt. Maury Hatch
    First Hatch Guide Service
    Nor/Cal Costa Pro
    (916)716-FISH

Thanks all for the great advice. I'll be following up...

not sure if this will help.

http://www.sportrx.com/shopby/brand-...ource=aviatech

I like smith's stuff too.