Thread: Pan fish "starter" for grandkids

Default Pan fish "starter" for grandkids

My daughter is looking to me to get her kids (my grandkids) into fishing. They live in Folsom, and I am hoping to find a panfish pond to start them on their way-even if it is a private, pay-to-play, situation. I really want them to have a successful experience, so I can graduate them to fly fishing, someday.

The kids are 5,7 & 9 years old.

If I could find a place with good carp fishing, that would work too (for them & for me!!!)

I have all but given up getting my other grandkids into fly fishing. They are 16 & 18 years old, and live in Alaska. (Go figure!)

Any help would be appreciated!

Lee

Lee,
    Behind Folsom High School on Prairie City Road is Willow Hill pond. There are a ton of small gills in there and some bass. They even plant the place with trout during the winter.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Thanks, Scott. That is within walking distance, from my daughters house! I plan to get the kids outfits this Christmas, and try to remember how to bait a hook. Grin!

Cheers,
    Lee

Use really small pieces of a worm on the hooks. The little guys like tiny bait more than a whole worm. I showed that to another guy that was fishing with his kids and then they started to catch a ton of gills.

Perfect! It has been a long time since I fished with bait! It should all makes sense once I get started. Hopefully, I can graduate them to fly fishing!

Tiny little poppers worked great. My wife who does not fish, went nuts when she saw them coming up for my tiny little foam poppers. She finally understood why I love to fly fish. She thought it was the coolest thing, until I let her see big trout eat dries, then she really understood and no longer questions my sick obsession with fly fishing.