Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A November to Remember

bwag,
    A great read with pics! You gotta do that again.......... and again!
    Best to you both.
    Larry S

Quality fish!

Glad you kept at it. Hope the dry spell is forever behind you.

Man, that is one great read. I can relate on so many levels it's not even funny. I spent nearly every spare moment of fall/winter 2012 on the north coast chasing steel, and while I had some sporadic bursts of action I never did "technically" land one. Still, the urge to connect and feel that pull kept me going strong and kept me content in the countless miles and hours I logged trying. The Rogue river handed me my first steelhead on a swung fly too.
    Thanks so much for sharing that story and the pics, really good stuff!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

One of my favorite posts ever............you are lucky to have such a great dad.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

RickJ, I'm right there with ya, I sure hope there's more fish in my future but if there isn't I won't stop! It truly is about the experience and journey. These past 3 and a half years have been some of the best of my life for many different reasons my two girls being the biggest! But this being the Salmon and Steelhead subforum I'll name a few: I've seen salmon redds 400 yards long and 200 yards wide on the Trinity, I've slept in the shadow of Mt. Shasta going after rainbows, seen an Osprey leave its perch on a riverside tree and scoop up a Trout, been graced by the presence of Bald Eagles several times, had my guides and line freeze while wading for winter steel, watched a black bear's eyes reflect the light from my truck in the middle of the night down a dirt road, woke up in a tent under trees hundreds of years old, waded the Eel with huge Redwoods lining the banks and coastal fog rolling in over the hill tops, I swear I could smell the Ocean, I've watched an 80 year old man hand a young dude his backside arm wrestling in a pizza parlor after it was closed in Garberville and got a video to prove it haha, been so tired from fishing for three days and making the late night drive home I swear I saw a Sasquatch once run across the road, I've tested the Ocean at the mouth of the Mattole once and only once, driven 8 hours to a place that looked so good on google earth only to find a locked gate at the entrance to the dirt road, had a lady cashier at the Lewiston gas station tell me I looked like the young red headed punk on A Christmas Story, befriended a few stray dogs, had two old timers crash our camp on the Klamath and watched my buddy get drunk on their moonshine while the old dudes smoked their medicine talking of the good old days, the list is endless but it's all the stuff that makes the trips so memorable. Best part is I've hopefully got a long ride ahead to make so many more memories. Fly Fishing truly did change my life for the better!

Kylgrn, congrats on your next child! I'm sure your hands are full with the 2 year old, I know mine keeps me moving! At some time we're all going to face that day when we can no longer wade the river safely, my next goal is to learn to handle the drift boat so I can just let my dad enjoy the ride. That's awesome your dad is still there to share the moment!

Bonnevillle54, I hope I'm lucky enough that both of my girls will appreciate the outdoors and share the desire to chuck flies with their old man someday!

Salmonid, I sure hope the dry spell is over as well! I'm still after my first winter steelhead though!

JasonB, glad you got one! The Rogue is an awesome river! I really love chasing Steelhead on the Coast, my buddy and I plan to hit a few smaller rivers up North once the rains come, the Mattole being the largest of them. The idea of hooking into one so close the the Ocean keeps me up at night!

Matt & Bill, a compliment of all compliments, thanks!
    Last edited by Bwag; 11-12-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Excellent story & an inspiration to all Steelheaders & future Steelhead enthusiast, well done! This is an article that should be in an upcoming magazine as well! Sure Andy, Bill or someone around shop could help get you in contact with an editor. Absolutely well done all around, excellent life story revolving around the "Grey Ghost"!!!

Damn where's the damn like button. Yo, Bwag, I'm glad you're appreciating those moments with your father and those trips and memories. Thanks for sharing it all. You have the attitude of a fly fisherman worth spending time chasing fish with.

BWAG: First picture alone is an amazing story by itself - that's one proud dad. I have a baby girl 5 weeks, 5 days and it brings up powerful emotions. That post was incredible. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Respectfully,
    Charles Won

Great post, and congrats on such a epic time with your father! Memories like that are what keep the passion alive day after day! Thanks for sharing.

What a great read. My Dad and I spent several winters fishing the lower Umpqua with both conventional gear and flies, some wonderful fish and memories. Alzheimer's has since taken those memories from him - both of us, in a way - but my 15 year old son and I will be making our third annual Thanksgiving Trinity Trip in a week, building more of our own steelhead history. Hope your circle stays unbroken as well!