Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A November to Remember

Default A November to Remember

My Dad grew up fishing for Steelhead in Northern California. So it was only natural that I grew up taking road trips with him to the Eel, Mad, Rogue and even B.C. I caught my first Steelhead near Benbow on the Eel, I can still remember it like it was yesterday even though it was over 25 years ago, me, “Hey dad, I’m snagged” he grabs my rod, “Son, you got a fish on!” It was a hen that had already spawned, I didn’t care, I wanted to take that fish home but he convinced me otherwise.

In 2003 he retired and moved to Oregon, very close to the Rogue River. Over the years since his move, I’d get emails and texts with pictures of him fishing for Steelhead. My life was busy at the time, I had recently gotten out of the Coast Guard and was working full time and going to College full time, which left little time to do much else.

Fast-forward to the summer of 2011 and my wife asked what I wanted for my birthday, flying lessons or fly-fishing lessons. I chose the latter, and took a 4-hour lesson at Leland’s Ranch in Sonoma.

After that lesson I fished Putah Creek anytime I could, which at the time was a lot, I had 3-4 days off a week and no kids. I went 7 times before I ever caught anything, didn’t matter though, it was fun and I couldn’t get enough of it.

I’m lucky enough to have a wife who not only understands how much it means for me to get away and fish, but also encourages it! So each month, I get to take off and fish for 3-4 days.

In the fall of 2011, a buddy and me decided to try fishing for Steelhead and went to the Trinity. We were using single hand rods and indicators. That first trip we both landed one fish each and were hooked on chasing Steelhead. We took several more trips that year, he caught one more Steelhead and I caught one nice sized Brown.

We continued to chase Steelhead into January, February and March of 2012, my buddy had no luck. I made a few trips to fish with my Dad who was always patient with me and let me fish through the runs first, I landed another Steelhead on the Rogue. My Dad really didn’t use indicators and mostly swung flies, which looked a lot more relaxing to me.

In the summer of 2012 my wife and I were blessed with the birth of our first Daughter. My wife wouldn’t put the brakes on my fishing trips though; she knew they were a much-needed break from the day to day grind of my job.

That summer I decided I wanted to fish a two handed rod and swing flies during the next Steelhead Season. While on this forum I saw that Andy Guibord taught casting lessons. I called up Andy and gave him not so much of my money in return for 4 hours of his time on the American. Andy was an easygoing dude and taught me enough that I could hit the river and at least get my fly out there. Had I lived closer to Sacramento, I’d have paid Andy for his time to fish. Anyone who reads this board knows Andy can get into the fish!

The fall of 2012 would be my start at swinging flies with a two handed rod. My buddy and I would fish the Trinity, Eel, Klamath, and even head to the Rogue to fish with my Dad who again would let us fish the runs first. I didn’t touch a single fish that fall. Each trip would last between 3-4 days ending with the same results, no grabs, no fish. Still didn’t matter, I got to get away, hang with a bud and fish with my Dad. Aside from having such a great wife and awesome daughter, I couldn’t ask for much else in life as far as I’m concerned. However, I was determined to stick it out with the two-hand fly rod and catching a Steelhead on the swing.

As the fall of 2012 transitioned into the winter of 2013, I continued my pursuit of catching a Steelhead on the swing. I’d hit a few rivers in Northern California but mainly would head into Oregon to fish with My Dad. I think he’s damn near rowed as many miles on the Rogue as I’ve driven in my truck trying to get that first Steelhead on the swing, he never once showed any doubt that it would happen. As much as he and I tried it didn’t happen. Again, no grabs, no fish for the winter of 2013.

Fall 2013 was much the same, more casting practice but I wouldn’t be deterred. As long as I had two arms I was going to catch a Steelhead on the swing with a two handed rod. Winter 2014…You guessed it, more of the same. I’d come home, my wife would say, “Any fish” I’d say, “Nope” and she’d ask, “How is it fun, you never catch anything”. Then I’d go to work and get bombarded with much of the same, “Wag, any fish” me, “Nope, they aren’t easy to catch though” to which I’d usually hear, “What’s wrong with you man, you take off for three days, and come back every time with no fish”, I’d then tell them, “Well, even if I did catch one, I’d put it back so there never will be any fish to bring back” at that point the conversation would deteriorate and couldn’t be salvaged so I’d just move on…

My wife and I were blessed again in early 2014 with the birth of our second daughter. Again, my wife wouldn’t put the brakes on my fall 2014 Steelhead trips.

Heading into the fall 2014 Steelhead Season I was as determined as I was two years prior when I first started swinging flies. I hadn’t picked up the single hander or touched a bobber since. My Dad was also as patient as he was two years prior when I first started this madness. Still letting me hit the good water first, still teaching me each time we stepped into the river, still holding out hope for that first grab.

This past week, I headed up to fish the Rogue with my Dad, leaving on Sunday night and pulling up to his house at a little before midnight. We stepped into the river first thing in the morning. I decided to throw on a longer sink tip and a little bit larger fly than I normally would have but still got nothing. That afternoon was no different than any other time on the water; my Dad let me hit the good part of the run while he fished down low. A few casts in and I was hooked up, a nice solid grab followed by my reel screaming as line peeled off. I had no regrets prior to that moment for spending two years without touching a fish or getting so much as a grab, afterwards I knew that it was worth the wait once I saw that wild buck up close. My Dad and I celebrated for a few minutes then got right back at it.

Between the remainder of that day and the following, I hooked and landed two more Steelhead, all around 22-24 inches and all wild.

On my last day we decided to stop off real quick and hit a spot he knew held fish. Sure enough I hooked up again for my fourth Steelhead of the trip, a wild hen. Afterwards we headed down river.

My Dad went down to the tailout while I headed to the top of the run to work my way down. About half way down, I had a grab then a pause, then a real solid pull to which my reel was singing. I knew this wasn’t a 22” fish, just how big I had no clue but it felt strong. My Dad came running around the bend after hearing my response to that solid pull, he knew it wasn’t a 22” fish as well. After a good fight, I landed the below pictured fish.

It was a perfect ending to that trip. I couldn’t have imagined a better way to catch my first few Steelhead on the swing. My Dad worked as hard or harder than I did for two years chasing the grey ghost on the swing and the best part was he was there to see the payoff. His wife, my stepmother, also paid a price for those fish, three years of me showing up empty handed, three years of hot meals waiting at the table each night when we returned and never once making a complaint or questioning why we do what we do.

I spent three days on the Rogue with my Dad making some very special memories, I'm grateful we both get to do it. I'm grateful that three years ago my wife threw it out there on my birthday and got me off the couch changing my life for the better. I'm thankful for this forum and the inspiration I've got from your stories and glad I can share mine.

These days won’t come around as often as I'd like and they won't last forever but I’m soaking it all up every chance I can get!

Last edited by Bwag; 11-12-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Great story.

your take really hits home as it really isn't just about the fish but the experience and the journey. If someone told me I would not hook another steelhead, I think I would still go out and do one of the thinks I love most - swinging for steel
    Last edited by Rick J; 11-11-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Great story and a wonderful read to start the day! I've got a 2 year old with another likely on the way very soon, I can relate to this story. While my dad is too old to get in the water, he still likes to come along and read books.

Amazing story. Thank you for sharing it.

Two thumbs up.

Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Quote Originally Posted by Bwag View Post
    I spent three days on the Rogue with my Dad making some very special memories, I'm grateful we both get to do it.
    Beautiful...memories that will never die. Soon you'll make your own with your daughters....thanks for the trip.

Great post Bwag. Defintely one of the best ever on this forum. Cheers to you, your family, and steelhead on the swung fly! Matt
    Church of Wild Steelhead!

Wonderful story. The picture of you and your Dad is priceless.

briansII

Very nice to read something positive!
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".