Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mud in the Lower Sac

Default Mud in the Lower Sac

I live in Redding and see the Lower Sac on a daily basis. I've notice that is has become very off-color in the last few days (way more off-color than it typically gets after a big storm, even up top by Posse Grounds). I haven't fished since I noticed the change, but I'm guessing visibility it 2 feet or so.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? More importantly, has anyone that has fished the Lower Sac in the last couple days have any insights about how this has effected the fishing? (I'm curious because I will taking some very novice guests out fishing this weekend.)

Thanks,

B

fishing has been decent from what I have heard...that said the color is from the last rain running down the mud banks of shasta. I think this is going to be a sign of what is to come this winter. Mud walled reservoirs are going to mud up pretty easily and blow out tailwaters. Same thing happened on the feather this last week with mud coming down from Oroville.

Hogan is right on. We will see this all year long.

The Feather is even a little off today.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Thanks guys. So, if we get beat up on Saturday, heading over to the Feather is probably not going to be much better (clarity-wise)?

fished it this week and vis was right about 2'. fishing was good though.

Default Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Dragking View Post
    Thanks guys. So, if we get beat up on Saturday, heading over to the Feather is probably not going to be much better (clarity-wise)?
    I fished the Feather last Wednesday and Thursday doing a steelhead school. Great time. We hooked many fish. I lost count. The students I had landed many fish. The Feather is always a great place. I do have to say its crowded for me. I like having the riffles to myself!!!

Other than that - eggs baby at least for a couple more days and then back to the nymphs.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    I fished the Feather last Wednesday and Thursday doing a steelhead school. Great time. We hooked many fish. I lost count. The students I had landed many fish. The Feather is always a great place. I do have to say its crowded for me. I like having the riffles to myself!!!

Other than that - eggs baby at least for a couple more days and then back to the nymphs.
    I fished lower sac today. (near Anderson). River is still off color and fishing was on the slow side. Landed about 10 fish and lost a handful of others. Not epic like it was though.

Maybe it is erosion after the rains from the sides of the drawn down reservoirs?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Maybe it is erosion after the rains from the sides of the drawn down reservoirs?
    Bill, a lot of the locals and guides think its the low levels of lake shasta and all the exposed dirt/mud. A little weather last week and you have that erosion. It could get really ugly once heavy rains come. I think if you hit the lower sac last month you were sitting pretty with epic 50+ days. Talked to the Fly Shop and they are saying the same thing.

All the fish I got yesterday were behind reds on eggs and small micro mays.

Fished the lower sac Thursday and Friday. While it is off colored it is certainly not muddy.
    Thursday started at Posse ground and by end of day landed about fifteen fish, biggest was 21" and most were nice fish from 12 to 18 inches. Caught two steelhead, one was wild steelie and one was hatchery fish. Next day fished down by Jelly Ferry and had a fair day.
    The two days I fished I did not see another boat.