Thread: Upper Sac on Sunday 11/2

Default Upper Sac on Sunday 11/2

Fished in Dunsmuir in the AM and off Riverside Road in Castella in the afternoon. Good fishing not great but good and very scenic. Picked up two on black Nymphs in the morning and switched to a elk hair caddis and caddis pupa dropper when the caddis started flying around. Grey-brown wings and a pale orange body for the naturals about 1.5 inches long on average. Picked up two more on the dropper and one (the biggest on the dry). Most fish in the 9 - 10' range, one 12" fatty. Got to try out my new waders (old ones were 5 years old) and a new Orvis Access mid-flex four weight that I really like.

Does any one know who Castle Crags Ltd is? they have posted a bunch of no trespassing signs around the Soda Creek access and Frontage road access. In the spring of this year the signs were only on the north side of Soda creek bridge and now they are on both north and south sides. Looks like you can't enter the water there anymore? The only company I saw on the Internet with that name is in Canada.

I can not answer your question but I would like to make a comment and ask another....This last summer the signs I saw were those of a Mining Company...My question is how can anyone or any Company Purchase parts of OUR National Forest??? It was Eagle Creek Drilling and Mining...
    Last edited by Frank Alessio; 11-04-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Eagle Creek Mining and Drilling has owned the land around Soda Creek since 1998. Before that it was Berry Petroleum. This was a private resort property in years past, and is sill maintained as one. The land extends to the RR tracks on the west side of the river east quite a ways. It also owns both sides of Soda Creek from its mouth upstream. It extends north and south of the Soda Creek bridge a ways as well. There is a large gravel bar on river right downstream several hundred feet of the bridge. Where this gravel bar stops, State of California lands start (part of Castle Crags).

I have not seen the signs from Castle Creek Ltd as I did not fish the Soda Creek area this year. I don't see their names on any ownership records in the area. In years past, I have never had any run ins with property owners at Soda Creek, but the new signs may indicate this could potentially be changing.

Honestly, there is less public lands along the Upper Sac than you would think. There is quite a bit of private land along most of the river, but the RR tracks severs most of these directly from the river, much to the public's benefit.

Tis' the season for the Upper Sac. Thanks for the information and heads up... I will just avoid Soda Springs tomorrow and Friday!
    Im thinking of getting up to Cantara on Friday towards the canyon. Work down the road on Friday. Hopefully, run into the hatch along the way.
    Anyone else going out there ? @ of my buddies cannot make it out this year. Pitching camp for a night... typically I just crash at Sims or Castle Craggs. Unless I find something up in the Cantara area for the night, but not too familiar.

PM me if you will be out there and want to fish for a few hours.

Beni