Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MAN DOWN ON THE AMERICAN RIVER - Be careful wading out there!

Before I retired I had a career in public safety (firefighter). As a job requirement I went through swift water rescue training. That resulted in a very healthy respect for the power of moving water. As we get older we become less stable and oftentimes overestimate our ability to safely negotiate wading in current. My $.02..........belt if using waders, proper wading shoes, staff, inflatable vest (PFD), common sense. Fishing kills a lot of people every year.

I wish no one harm.
    But since they've outlawed lawn darts, the human population needs a way to thin our ranks....Obesity isn't enough....
    Wading is one of those rare activities where you can die just walking around. (I hope they don't outlaw it to protect us..)
    I've always pushed the envelope, climbing, skiing, driving , diving, etc....
    When I first stated fishing, I swam regularly, now, I'm a bit more careful....
    Only two waters I always carry a staff on....the Pitt, and the McCloud.
    But I always wear a belt..........
    If I drown while fishing, you can say you and I knew it might happen...
    If you do, I'll say the same thing.....
    Hopefully, we can protect our fisheries, so we always have an excuse to risk a wade.......

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-12-2014 at 10:58 AM.

"So they get the oldest guy in the class to give it a shot. Probably mid to late 50's' " Ouch that hurts as I left my fifties a while ago. I've had a few scary wading mistakes over the years. Now I use a staff, have studs on felt, and go slow.

Me too........69 yikes.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    I wish no one harm.
    But since they've outlawed lawn darts, the human population needs a way to thin our ranks....Obesity isn't enough....
    Huh. And you expect to attract clients with this attitude? How odd...
    -JD

Sac Bee confirmed he did not make it. His last name was Vang.

Does it make it any easier knowing that he died doing something he loved?

When I think of death, I think of people who have lived a long time, dying naturally. We went to a cemetery on the birthday of my wifes brother. This was maybe the fourth time in a cemetery for me. Apon looking around I was saddened to see how many young people were there. You just don't know when your time is up. I try to live 25 hrs a day, in my own way.
    Get to whats reel

Default lighten up JD

I wish no one harm.
    Wading is one of those rare activities where you can die just walking around. (I hope they don't outlaw it to protect us..)
    I've always pushed the envelope, climbing, skiing, driving , diving, etc....
    When I first stated fishing, I swam regularly, now, I'm a bit more careful....
    Only two waters I always carry a staff on....the Pitt, and the McCloud.
    But I always wear a belt..........
    If I drown while fishing, you can say you and I knew it might happen...
    If you do, I'll say the same thing.....
    Hopefully, we can protect our fisheries, so we always have an excuse to risk a wade.......
    I like the approach... DARE TO BE DIFFERENT~ and maybe in a roundabout way, he just said that we all have to go some way, may as well be fishing... and that there is a silver lining to every cloud...

As well, he covers a few more editorials via tongue and cheek, on overpopulation, human stupidity and the importance of our dwindling Constitutional rights....

I GET IT, thanks!

Wow, JARTS are illegal, I remember those... never even got one in the foot. I must be lucky~

I think as we all get older we focus more on dying. Going to the doctor with all of our aches and pains is one of the most common subjects there is after reaching 50 and even more so after 60 and so on. Think about it. It's the one common thing we all share.

So rather than planning for a long hospital stay, hooked to some IV and breathing apparatus, wouldn't it be nicer to simply go doing what you enjoy doing most? Get your house in order now so you're not leaving a burden behind for those you love.

I find myself wanting to do things I used to do easily like climbing a ladder, or wading, or whatever. But my wife often stops me (saves me) before I get too far into something and hurt (kill) myself. Loved ones often do that. But I still have the wants, and the desires, and forget that these bones are getting older by the day and I'm not thirty anymore.

So, I guess it's best to not be stupid (wear a wading belt) but it's still good to get out there and enjoy as much as you can,,,, while you can.

I think I'll hook up the boat and go down to the river a little bit before breakfast,
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

My condolences to his friends and family. Life is too short and uncertain regardless, best to appreciate the fleeting window we have for what it is and how fortunate we are to enjoy it. Spending time standing in flowing waters is one of the best ways I can imagine to do just that. I don't think there is such a thing as a good day, or good way to die; however given that death is an inevitability to us all, I can think of far worse ways to go than to drown while fishing. Still, we should all take this reminder to take those little precautions such as keeping our belt tight and not pushing it by trying to wade where we shouldn't. The river is very powerful, and it takes surprisingly little sometimes for a stable situation to degrade into an unstable one. For the most part I am always amazed at just how forgiving rivers are to our own lack of precaution and sometimes extreme carelessness, and yet at the very same time just how unforgiving they can be for the smallest of errors in judgement or actions. I've come around to the feeling that we do the best we can, and the odds of serious trouble are low; but the potential is always there for each and everyone of us, no matter what.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Steelies, I think Tony and Jason said it better than I ever could....
    But thanks for watching my back..
    JD, my only thought was, we out-number the fish....
    It's either we reduce the humans, or stock more......and I for one, am reticent to fish domesticated fish.
    Guess you could say I'm on the side of the wild mostly....
    But if I come swimming by.....I hope you'll throw a rope.
    Best advice, don't wade alone.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-24-2014 at 08:58 AM.