Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MAN DOWN ON THE AMERICAN RIVER - Be careful wading out there!

Default MAN DOWN ON THE AMERICAN RIVER - Be careful wading out there!

Just heard from a friend who was on the river and then confirmed with an online report from KCRA News that a man was fishing near the Howe Ave. Bridge and slipped while trying to cross the river.

Evidently, his waders filled up and he went down.

It seems he drowned though reports are conflicting.

I hope that he is in the hospital recovering but fear he may have drowned.

Low flows on the American River are perhaps more dangerous than higher flows.

Anglers tend to not even consider crossing riffles in flows of 2000 and higher but tend to underestimate current in lower flows and then get caught up in the difficulty of turning around and going back which if you've spent any serious time wading you know is much harder (mentally and physically) to do.

Anyway, all my best to the man and his family.

And as for the rest of us... lets all WEAR THOSE BELTS!
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 10-09-2014 at 01:51 PM.

I put plastic bags over my feet before putting on my waders. This will make it easier to get your feet out. Neoprene bottoms really makes it hard to get them off. I fell yesterday above sunrise but was not in deep water, but the current made it difficult to stand back up. I had the wader top tucked in at the waist but (hot out) had the belt tight, it still scares me. I don't know how some people will get in above there knees.

I was there a few weeks back when a gear head who hab been drinking to much fell in with his neoprenes on. Had to help him get up (witch was a bad idea cause he almost drug me in). But he had regular shoes over his waders, no cletes, felt or anything for gripping. He then fell again on his way to the shore. Not trying to say anything bad about a tragety, but use common sense when wading. Be smart and use the right gear. Secondly lesson learned: be carful trying to help other people, I could have been drug in and been in danger of drowning myself.

Likewise, I saw some gear guys (not that it really matters I guess) cross some pretty intense water, no way I would have attempted it. Sure enough one of them went down, wasn't wearing waders though.

All my friends laughed when I started using a wading staff...now they all have one. If you don't have one, get one...but common sense should still prevail...and keep those belts tight.

My wading rule is if you start to doubt your abilities to be able to wade a part of the river then don't do it. Safety and keeping yourself alive is more important than a trophy fish any day.
    Hope the guy is okay
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

Funny, every time I have ever put in that extra wading effort, it didn't end in a trophy fish anyways

Sucks if he is gone! But hope he is in recover if he made it......

The American river I have no problem with also I can wade pretty good and with the new simms boots with a load of cleats on they are awesome! But up on the cost a whole different story! Also the water not clear in some areas made some tough wading. One minute your in ankle deep water the next like a friend put it once up to your nipples in water I would say a wading staff is really needed up there!

But like stated above me if your not really sure about your wading dont even think about not have a wading staff with you. Oh and drinking while wading I would say not really a good idea
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I was at a guide school in 03. We were on the Pit and they were going over wading tecniques. We came across a strong run and they wanted students to cross. I was like "no way" not with waders on. The instructors started giving me a hard time. Im thinking to myself, FU. So they get the oldest guy in the class to give it a shot. Probably mid to late 50's' I remember sitting on the bank, preparing for the worst. He didn't make it across, but nothing tragic happened. Having been on a Swift Water Rescue team and knowing what I knew, I lost a ton of respect for these instructors that day. To put someones life on the line like that. Then they wanted a tip and the end of the week. Like the above post stated, "if in doubt, don't try"
    Get to whats reel

The American tricked me a bit the first few trips, those patches of weeds or vegetation in the water sometimes do a great job of covering up depth changes.