Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuba / w. Avalon ?

Question Cuba / w. Avalon ?

Has anyone out there had any experience with fishing Cuba? I keep getting solicitations from Fly Fishing the Run located in Chile who handle the booking for Avalon.

I'm a bit skeptical about dealing with ANY non-US business but would sure like to try fishing Cuba. Anybody ever use either of these companies and what are your recommendations about them?

Thanks, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Mike O Guest

Is it kosher to travel to Cuba? How's that work?

The U.S. has gotten very lienient on enforcing rules and restrictions about going to Cuba. The standard program is to book with any number of travel companies, get a visa, and buy a plane ticket to Cancun. There you can purchase a plane ticket direct to Havana

Avalon will be at the Pleasanton Fly Show and I plan on talking with them some more there. Also, Global Rescue says they do cover Cuba as well.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

There are quite a few guys on Blanton who have been to Cuba.

Tony, and for those interested in fishing cuba, We have reviews from our subscribers for a number of trips booked with Avalon you can read here. For the most part, our subscribers have good things to say about their trips with the company: http://www.anglingreport.com/Cuba_Fishing.cfm

We also did an article in our March 2015 issue about new developments related to fishing in cuba (legally!): http://www.anglingreport.com/current_issue.cfm?id=883

If I can help you with any guide recommendations, please message me.

Default Tony, check you email

Had similar concerns, but would rather send you an email.

Normalizing relations should end any travel issues
    The Bahamas may want to straighten their Guide/DIY siutaion out or they will be having to go 1/2 price to get people to come flyfish.

Have a couple buddies, who are very much law abiding citizens, that fished their 10-15 years ago. They had a good experience. They were two of the three guys fishing the entire area. The other guy was also from the US, either Wisconsin or Minnesota, and he got his slam. They went through an outfitter in Italy, if I recall correctly, and flew in via Cancun. They were surprised that there were plenty of US families visiting Havana.

I can get details or put you in touch with one of them if you want, just let me know.

You should go there.....I have heard it is some of the best flats fishing left in the world.

Many cool species, like the Cubera Snapper, are still on these pristine flats just like they were in the Florida Keys 100 years ago.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Anyone have experience fishing Cuba without using one of the larger tour companies like Avalon? Anyone used http://guidesforflyfishing.com or Flyfishindreams.com? Would like to target tarpon there but try to get it to $3000 or less.