Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall River - How is it fishing?

Default Fall River - How is it fishing?

I'm planning to fish the Fall River this weekend....has anyone fished it recently? How is the fishing, best flies, and flows. This river is my nemesis...I always have to work for fish here. Tips and suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks in advance,
    Magic

Default Fall River

"This river is my nemesis...I always have to work for fish here".

It's called "paying your dues".

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I'm planning to fish the Fall River this weekend....has anyone fished it recently? How is the fishing, best flies, and flows. Tips and suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks in advance,
    Magic

rhilliard, It's guys like you why people hate internet forums. The guy asked a few simple questions and you come back with some worthless comment. Sorry Magic I don't have any recent reports but hope others may have some positive insight.

No recent report, and keeping in mind I'm by no means an expert on the Fall in the fall, I've had best luck nymphing Micro May Flies and the like (i.e. small baetis patterns) about 3-5 feet down (deeper in some runs). Midge patterns will also produce. Others I have fished with like using smallish streamer patterns or Woolly Buggers on sinking lines. Have never seen any great hatches this late in the season, but you might want a few small parachutes (#18-20) in case you run into risers. Good luck.
    -JD

I fished it a few weeks ago with Art Teter and it was tough sledding (not for him...for me). It requires very long drifts and you need your fly in exactly the right channel or you'll miss your fish...hard to do when you cast 30 feet and you want the fly on the nose of a fish 80 feet downstream. They spook very easily....and it takes a little mastery to be able to feed out exactly the right amount of line to maintain a dead drift, yet not so much you cant set the hook at 80 feet. I missed a lot of fish because I had a foot or two too much slack in my drift...and when I shortened it up I have micro drag on my indicator that Art could see but it looked just fine to me!

The best fly of the day was a water coachman pattern we stripped and got some huge hits. Art used one with a very bright silver shell to imitate the water bubble they swim in. I think it was an intermediate sinking line.

I think the flows don't fluctuate much given its a huge spring fed system. I agree its a helluva frustrating place to fish. Its tough seeing huge fish scatter everywhere in front of your boat and then spend an hour drifting bugs through them and getting nothing. I prefer thinking there's nothing there when I get blanked on a hole! No getting away with that on the Fall.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 10-07-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Yeah sorry I can't help. I love the place but only fished few times, had good success at hex time, some nice fish on nymphs but never really got into the downstream groove there. I need to suck it up and have day with guide.

Had few lovely fish though, some real specimens in there.

Good luck, let us know how get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I fished it a few weeks ago with Art Teter and it was tough sledding (not for him...for me). It requires very long drifts and you need your fly in exactly the right channel or you'll miss your fish...hard to do when you cast 30 feet and you want the fly on the nose of a fish 80 feet downstream. They spook very easily....and it takes a little mastery to be able to feed out exactly the right amount of line to maintain a dead drift, yet not so much you cant set the hook at 80 feet. I missed a lot of fish because I had a foot or two too much slack in my drift...and when I shortened it up I have micro drag on my indicator that Art could see but it looked just fine to me!

The best fly of the day was a water coachman pattern we stripped and got some huge hits. Art used one with a very bright silver shell to imitate the water bubble they swim in. I think it was an intermediate sinking line.

I think the flows don't fluctuate much given its a huge spring fed system. I agree its a helluva frustrating place to fish. Its tough seeing huge fish scatter everywhere in front of your boat and then spend an hour drifting bugs through them and getting nothing. I prefer thinking there's nothing there when I get blanked on a hole! No getting away with that on the Fall.

sounds like center pin bait fishing not fly fishing
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

And, how does one define fly fishing, and who is to decide? (Besides you, for yourself...)
    Is the center pin guy fishing a fly? Was Bob fishing a proper dry? Or zee evil bobber???
    I've fished too long to believe there is only one way to do this fly thing.....
    We are shaped by the waters we fish, and Art, has mastered the Fall. Book a day and see...
    Importantly, Bob has seen where the bar is set on that river (Spring creek actually). (Boatmen slay other waters too Bob....)
    I believe we should let the water "tell us" how to fish.....and the Fall will, if you fish it...
    Some of what I learned on the Fall I use on the Truckee.....few things work better on spooky fish than a long perfect drift.
    Generally speaking, people with a limited approach, blame the fish when they don't co-operate.............

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-08-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks all for the input. However, I am not familiar with the water coachman fly. Is that another name for Royal Coachman?
    I wish Bob Quigley was still with us...he would a blast to fish this river with.
    Thanks again.
    Magic

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    And, how does one define fly fishing, and who is to decide?
    Jim
    Since you mention it Jim,
    The recent urgent meeting regarding your current status, as a registered "elite fly fishing expert" , has been revoked!
    Numerous key issues were addressed but some of the more critical were as follows:
    -Lack of proper regulation hat
    -Preference for IPA style beers, instead of the obligatory affinity for fine single malt
    -Use of a Non regulation fishing vest... this was a point of some concern for a few of the more senior members!
    -Sharing knowledge and information with mere commoners and low life types ... this last point was utterly inexcusable and has caused the committee to begin to investigate far more diligently than it has in recent years into just exactly who is calling themselves a "fly fisher"!

We will be looking very hard at all members of this board, and I think it's safe to say that many members will have their current status carefully scrutinized for any violations of "the code". Keep a sharp eye out folks...
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown