Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hook set?

Default hook set?

Just thought I might revisit an old topic, one that I continue to rethink in my own fishing with each fish it would seem. Specifically to swinging, how do you respond to a grab? I guess I should clarify that to how do you intend to respond, rather than how do you actually respond, as I know that those are often two different answers for me. At any rate, do you: set the hook, let a loop of line slip, wait, do nothing, hope/pray??? Do you have different strategies for different types of water, or different parts of the swing?
    I've gone back and forth on whether or not to cary a loop, and I have lost plenty of fish by setting really fast and hard on the grab. On the other hand, most of the fish I have hooked and/or landed were ones that hit when I didn't have a loop to give them so I can't really say how well the loop would work on the hookup.

My last trip I had finally found a run where I was getting some action; after two days of nothing you can imagine how I responded to the first thunderous grab. Yanked back so hard and so fast, and that was the end of that. Fortunately I had two more grabs in the same run, the second time around it was one of those subtle little peck... peck, peck... PECK, PECK, PECK kind of things which I thought might be a trout. I simply waited out the first tentative pecks, then when there was just a little more weight behind them I set back pretty firm and was rewarded with about a 5lb chrome bright hen. Really glad I didn't set the hook right away, but on the other hand I don't think that letting a loop of line slip away would have hooked the fish either... As I said, curious to hear other thoughts and experiences on the matter.
    Cheers, JB
    Last edited by JasonB; 10-05-2014 at 07:42 AM.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

The hook set. There are many factors involved, basically the different ways the fish takes. My general rule is to not set the hook but to wait to feel the weight. Then all is needed is to raise the rod tip. When the fly is being swing across current the line is basically tight, when setting the hook many times you are pulling the fly away from the fish. By waiting you are allowing the fish to turn and bring the hook into the corner of the mouth.
    I do not hold a loop. There are not many of us who can anticipate the take and the discipline to let line slip. I will keep the rod tip up thus putting some “slack” between the rod tip and the water this serves the same purpose as the loop. If I am looking at the birds or day dreaming when the fish takes I have a built in loop.
    I also do not hold the line at all. I use the index finger to caress the line to get the feel of what the line is doing, especially when using a sink tip and a deeply fish fly. Two advantages to this, I think that there is more sensitivity than holding the line to the handle and when a fish strikes the natural impulse is to tighten your grip. Let the fish pull line off the reel before you tighten up on the line. This also is a more relaxed way to fish.
    As the line swings into the hang down position swing the rod tip one way or the other, towards the bank or the center of the river. Or make mends one way or the other. This keeps the line from being too straight putting some slack on the water and also will speed the fly up. This is important when fishing tips and heavy flies and it will help to keep from snagging up on the dangle.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

HMMM - see Bruce beat me to it!!! I was typing and posted before his came up - so what Bruce does!!!!! Bruce - how about those Giants!!!!!!!!!!

I always try to hold off until I feel the weight of the fish. If they hammer it - that is weight and they typically hook themselves and scream off down river. The majority of fish generally just stop it or as you say a coulple of pecks then some weight - I just lift the rod tip - no hard set after I feel the weight.

Two tough ones are - on a skater - I try never to set the hook until I feel the weight - this is tough as it is visual and I have been known to set up when they first grab rather than wait for them to turn. Second really tough take is on the hang down - here I try to set to the side rather than straight back once I feel the weight

And I do not carry a loop but generally do fish with a slight elevated rod tip rather than the tip right at the water

NOW TARPON..........
    Last edited by Rick J; 10-05-2014 at 08:49 AM.

setting the hook is a knee jerk response that many guys do despite knowing not to. Its a bit like someone sneaking up on you and yelling "BOO"!! You jump! I think some of the most seasoned swingers inadvertently do it from time to time based on the viciousness of the grab.

I like to keep my rod tip very close to the water with no loop held. My drag set pretty soft. I like to hear drag coming off before I raise the rod. And I don't raise it much. The fish almost always makes a hard first run and you don't need the rod high for this. I wont even go into a high rod position (or it could be a side pressure rod position) until the fish stops and the fight begins.

I also prefer to hold the rod tip elevated with the rod/reel held low by my side. I do,however, keep a very small loop in my fingers. This technique has helped to lessen the "trigger" factor. Now half pounders are whole different story.

Doing nothing seems to work best for me most of the time. No loop. I've lost many more steelhead by "setting" the hook than my not setting it. Listen to the click and paw for a few seconds, raise the rod, maybe give it a bit of a tug to make sure the hook is set, then let it run as long as it wants.

Very good info....

I have just faked it for years.

I have been caught with my line too tight by a vicious strike ending in a sudden break off.

At nearly 70 I hope I can go a few more times before I am not physically able.

I have really good memories of wonderful trips on dozens of beautiful river.

I just hope we can inspire more people to swing flies for Steelhead with the fall being the most productive.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good stuff guys.
    Appreciate the level of experience and the knowledge being shared. I am a bit surprised by how similar the responses have been, with fairly subtle differences for the most part. I had kind of expected a wider range of thoughts and opinions on the topic. I am curious, in part since Terry mentioning half pounders being a different story; how many of you change tactics between floating line versus sunken line presentations, or even summer versus winter fish? I think I do tend to have a bit different technique with sunken lines, but it's more of a response than a well thought out intentional technique; or perhaps I'm simply dealing with a different kind of fish when I have had takes on a floating line system. Interesting stuff, the things I day dream of when I can't be standing knee deep in the river...
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I agree with everything Bruce said above. I've caught a lot of BC steelhead and have experienced the many subtle, and not so subtle, variations in takes. For example, you mentioned the peck, peck, peck. While I would dearly love to see a video of what is actually going on in those moments, I've learned you've just got to wait until you feel the weight. Usually. Also, I find that if I change flies, to something smaller generally, that fish will hammer it the second time around. I watch a lot of anglers throw the same fly back at the fish two or three times and get the pecking result a second time and then nothing. I had several fish on the Babine recently that had me changing flies three and four times before it was game on. But I stuck by the mantra: never leave a player. Moral: don't be afraid to change up. the rest will do the fish good and you'll become a better knot tier.

Great topic because how many times have we heard a report (myself included) had a great day two strong tugs but no hookups! Tug is the drug and so on. I love the tug just as much as anyone but would much rather fight the fish as well. Looks like some guys already posted some great methods I am just to high strung use them I think. Tried it and just don't have the zen like patience to let the fish load the rod before raising. I mean, I wake myself from deep sleep setting the hook in my dreams sometimes. I will coming flying up in bed swinging my arms. I have straight scared the #%%^ out of my wife. I am a hook setting freak of sorts. I use the loop method, 3 foot loop held with loose pressure between my thumb and rod. Rod point down and at fly, loop held loosely. So loose in fact I don't feel much of a initial tug at all just the line slips out from under my thumb and its solid game on a quarter second later. Fish grab and turn allowing the turn no matter the method with increase hookups.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau