Thread: Pyramid Lake Fall Primer

Default Pyramid Lake Fall Primer

Its that time of year again and Pyramid opens for the season on October 1. Early season fishing success is based mainly on finding tui chub bait balls. Early explorations have bait close into shore on the southern end of the lake and fishing the beaches with steep drops close to shore is a good idea. Beaches such as Wino, Sand Hole, Blockhouse and the associated shoreline between these beaches should be productive. Stripping large baitfish patterns on fast sinking lines through the bait balls will produce electric grabs from marauding cutthroat. Using a float tube to access deeper water is another strategy, but keep in mind Pyramid can be a dangerous place to tube. Beaches such as Warrior, Nine Mile, Shot Dog and Spider Point are fun places to tube in the early season. Watch the wind direction and use common sense to determine if it is safe enough to tube.

As the water temperatures start to drop the fishing gets very good with fish in close to shore at most beaches. Fish a spot for an hour and then move if you are not catching. Try not to leave fish to find fish. November is a prime month at the Desert Lake with typically stellar weather and excellent fishing. The lake will fish well until we get cold weather and water temperatures then things will get tough. Last year that was in early December.

Recommended minnow imitations are olive clousers, Stanley Streamers, olive /dark olive bunnies, chartruese wooly buggers and any other streamers with an olive and white color combination. I fish these on a type 6 or heavier sinking shooting head with 12# Maxima Ultra Green leaders. For indicator presentations I like to hang midges such as Sano's rootbeer midge, wine, or Moo midges as the top fly and a tui chub imitation for the bottom fly. Depth can be adjusted from beach to beach but a good starting place is around 9' to the bottom fly. I use 12# fluorocarbon on my indicator rigs.

I have availability at Pyramid this fall and can be booked through Kiene's Fly Shop. For general questions feel free to call or email me directly.

Tui Chub bait balls pushed to the surface by feeding cutthroat

Tui Chubs on the surface

This could be you!

See you at the Desert Lake this fall!

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Nice pics Jay

What's the average length of those tui chubs at this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisV View Post
    Nice pics Jay

What's the average length of those tui chubs at this time of year?
    It all depends but Ive seen them from 2 inches to 10 inches or so. Im fishing flies that are generally 1-4 inches long with good success.

Jay
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

Thanks for getting me excited about Pyramid. Hoping to finally catch my 10 pound + fish this fall.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Thanks for getting me excited about Pyramid. Hoping to finally catch my 10 pound + fish this fall.
    Anytime Scott! Hope you get your 10+ pounda. Its gonna be a great season at the Desert Lake.
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

A guided trip is a safe way to float tube Pyramid Lake, and until you learn to float tube Pyramid Lake safely on your own, which is marginal most of the time that your float tubing Pyramid.
    I'm a member of GBF, and CFFU and have been teaching stillwater float tubing class's for 15 years now, and been float tubing Pyramid for over 20 years, and what it tell my class is to always keep a eye on the wind, and when the first gust hits you, you should start heading to shore within 10 min's..... so if it really starts to blow you will be close to shore.....also you need a game plan on how to land that big Cutt that you hooked from you float tube.
    Jay is a good float tubing guide that will help you learn how to fish Pyramid Lake safely and land that big Cutt.

Sorry, but in general I would argue that float tubing Pyramid is a really bad idea. Really wish folks would stop encouraging this pretty risky behavior. Plenty of fish to catch just wading...and it is only fishing after all, no point in risking life or limb.

And don't get me started about the dang ladders either...
    Last edited by JD; 09-26-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    -JD

I also back Gene's comment's about Jay Clark's ability both as a guide for float tubing/and or guiding Pyramid lake. I've run into him several times both at Davis and Pyramid about 10 years ago, and I know his abilities to catch and guide. This is from standing beside him and watching, and seeing results.
    JD, while it is better to err on the side of caution, a person could drive a stake in the sand, and have a 100 or so feet of rope to get you back to the beach in an emergency condition at Pyramid. This could allow a person to get into casting range of that deeper water. I know the long time story of the guy being blown across the lake and spending the night on the other side, but Never heard of a float tuber drowning. Fishing is dangerous at times, as is driving there, boating, and yes,.. getting swept off your ladder.