Thread: Alaska Pike Adventure

Default Alaska Pike Adventure

Just came back a few weeks ago from Alaska. I fished with Midnight Sun Trophy Pike Adventures and had a great time. I put a little piece together and wanted to share it with y'all.

Alaska: Pretrip

I've always wanted to go fish Alaska. Finding myself day dreaming of the salmon runs with trout, grayling and arctic char gorging on salmon eggs. Being able to witness thousands of salmon come into the rivers to spawn and complete their journey on this earth while nourishing the Alaskan wildlife for the hard brutal winter just around the corner. Stepping foot on America's last frontier to chase a passion of mine that runs as deep and wild as the Alaskan wilderness. Always thinking it would be trout and salmon I would be chasing when I finally made a trip to Alaska. I'm not sure when or really how I cam across Midnight Sun Trophy Pike Adventures. It was most likely a picture of a 50" pike that I came across and started researching more about Midnight Sun. It didn't take long for me to realize how special of a pike fishery they where in the middle of.

Continue reading here

Alaska: Day of Travel

Not much to report today. Went down to Tailwaters FlyShop to pick up the satellite phone so I could stay in touch with the family while I was gone. Picked up some magazines to help the 7hr flight from Dallas to Anchorage go by. I had lunch with the family and then they took me to the airport for my departure. The flight wasn't all that bad, thankfully I had an aisle seat and no one was sitting next to me, which was the only open seat on the plane. The only thing worth reporting was a conversation I had with the older gentleman that had the window seat. This was his first trip to Alaska also, he was coming to Alaska with some friends for a cruise. As the conversation continued he talked about how he and his wife always talked about visiting Alaska. Continue Reading Here

Alaska: Camp

It wasn't long after I got a 41” fish, these Northern Pike we all fat and healthy and full of fight. These fish aren't drag screamers, they are bulldog fighters and they will slug it out to the end. Continue Reading Here

Alaska: Day 1
    We made a 2 hour boat ride to one of the far lakes this morning. The winds were light so we had a smooth ride up river to the lakes we had planned to fish. The boat ride was a little chilly with the air temp being in the forties this morning. The fish didn't didn't mind and the fishing was great. We caught a lot of smaller pike in the 20 to low 30 inch range. I really have no idea how many fish we caught but they shredded several flies. Continue Reading Here

Gator Pike

Alaska: Day 3

Today we started of chasing some Sheefish. These fish somehow got the reputation of being the tarpon of the north. Continue Reading Here

Alaska: Day 4
    I fished with Scott Rowekamp and the fishing picked back up today. Early in the morning the fish where active but not really turned on. They would come up and hit our flies but not really take them. I had several nice fish, fish that would have probably been my best fish of the trip, come up and swipe my fly only to shake loose. Towards the end of the day the fish really turned on and we tore them up in a small slough off the main river. Continue reading here

Alaska: Day 5
    Today was the last day of fishing and what a great way to end the trip. The first fish of the day was a nice 41" pike. The morning was kinda sporadic with pockets of fish being caught here and there. Towards the end of the day we found the mother load. Continue Reading Here

Alaska: Recap

The whole trip was great and I would like to thank the whole Midnight Sun crew for putting together such a great trip and doing whatever it took to make sure their customers have a trip of a lifetime. I would say I was probably their easiest customer this year, haha. The accommodation, the meals, the scenery and the fishing were all superb. If you are a pike fisherman you defiantly owe it to yourself to check out Midnight Sun Trophy Pike Adventures. This trip was by far the best freshwater trip I have ever been on. Continue Reading

Thanks...nice post and great photos.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........